University police are investigating the theft of over $15,000 worth of equipment that occurred on campus over the long weekend.

Approximately $5,000 worth of audiovisual equipment, including a data projector, various cables and related equipment, was stolen from the Interdisciplinary Humanities Center in the Humanities and Social Sciences Building sometime between the hours of 5 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 16 and 9:30 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 19. The theft was reported to the UC Police Dept. on Monday morning by Tom Bennett, business officer for the Interdisciplinary Humanities Center.

The second theft occurred between the hours of 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 16 and 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 18, when over $10,000 worth of computer-related items were stolen from the Publications Office of the Engineering I building. Computer software, monitors, a data projector and miscellaneous pieces of computer equipment were among the items missing when Peter Allen, publications manager for the Engineering Dept., reported the theft to police Sunday afternoon.

UCPD Officer Mark Signa said there were no signs of forced entry for either burglary and there are currently no suspects. They are investigating both thefts by interviewing the heads of the departments and keeping track of the serial numbers of the stolen items, Signa said.

Signa said a similar burglary occurred in the same area six months ago, for which a suspect was never found. He said though the burglaries are probably not related, police are not ruling out the possibility.

Anyone with information regarding either burglary is urged to contact the UCPD at (805) 893-3446.