I am a third-year member of the UCSB women’s tennis team and was shocked, but mostly appalled, to read Mr. Guerry’s letter (“Tennis Player Calls a Double Fault on Coach’s Bad Manners,” Daily Nexus, Oct. 15, 2003) complaining about being kicked off our tennis courts during his intramural match. If Mr. Guerry bothered to read the sign posted at the entrance to the Rob Gym courts, he would have seen that the Intercollegiate Athletics Program’s women’s tennis team has full use of all the courts from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. daily, no exceptions.

As a Division I athletic team, we have intense three-hour practices and strenuous weight-training sessions, and we play at matches and tournaments throughout the entire school year. It is our job as student-athletes to represent UCSB in everything we do, which is a lot more than I can say for Mr. Guerry. For him to publicly insult our coach as well as whine about not being able to finish his match because we needed to practice on our courts is absolutely uncalled for and, in my opinion, shows a lack of class.

Instead of complaining all your life about being replaced on court by a “basket of balls and a prunish tennis instructor,” you should have practiced and taken lessons yourself so you could have a slight idea of what a real tennis player endures in order to be at the top of his or her game and be able to compete at the Division I level. As for the assholes I’ve met while playing tennis, congratulations, you are the first on my list.