Thursday 10/23

Churning politically charged lyrics into reggae-infused raps has maintained KRS-One’s position as one of the most highly respected hip hop artists throughout the ’80s, ’90s and today. See why Sublime gave him such props tonight at 9 at Velvet Jones. For prices and info call 965-8676. No, it’s not a terrorist meeting at Biko. It’s just our old favorites the Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower, Akimbo and The New Mexicans, back in town to play another rockin’ show. The music starts at 7 p.m., so get there on time, ’cause the 10 p.m. noise ordinance has no mercy. The Biko house is located at 6612 Sueno Road in I.V. A $5 donation is appreciated.

Friday 10/24

If you are in need of some avant-garde techno-rock with high-powered ultra-feminist vocals, then head down to the Hard to Find Showspace for Tracy and the Plastics. This one-woman show includes a big screen in the background, where her variety of personas are animated. Also playing tonight are the sassy sounds of the Threads. Tickets are $7 but discounted with canned food. For info, e-mail hard2findus@netzero.com. Being hailed as Jazz Artist of the Year and Acoustic Jazz Artist of the Year by DownBeat 2002 Readers’ Poll could easily inflate one’s ego, but when you’ve been a widely respected jazz player for more than three decades, the music is all that matters. The Dave Holland Quintet will make their Lobero Theatre debut tonight at 8. Tickets for this contemporary jazz group start at $30. Call 963-0761 for details.

Saturday 10/25

If only the big bad wolf had had some kind of group therapy before he took out his aggression on three innocent pigs. The play Mr. Huff N. Puff: The Story of the Big Bad Wolf just might give you insight on his take of that dreadful day. There will be two performances today at Alhecama Theater. The first is at noon and will be followed with a 2:30 p.m. showing. For prices, info and other showings, call 965-6252. When’s the last time you had a good group cry? Come and emote to the power-chord thrashing punk/emo bands Alcohol by Volume, Farrago and My Life Story at JoJo’s tonight at 8. The venue is located downtown at Chapala and Anapamu. For info, contact the bands at alcoholbyvolume@hotmail.com.

Sunday 10/26

His claim to fame is his political wit, no-holds-barred opinions and never-think-twice statements. Director of “Bowling for Columbine” and author of Stupid White Men, Michael Moore will challenge us to take a look at the society we live in and the American government. This political comedian performs tonight at 7 in the Arlington Theater. Tickets start at $18. For info, call 963-4408. Ever wonder what Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would sound like without Tom Petty? Well, you’re in luck, because that’s exactly what the Dirty Knobs are. They’ll be playing at the Coach House tonight at 8 p.m. Tickets are only $12. For info, call 583-8700.

Monday 10/27/Tuesday 10/28

Litigation might not be their strong suit, but with hits like “Jeremy” and “Yellow Ledbetter,” Pearl Jam’s bowing down to the almighty ticketwhores isn’t a huge defeat (tickets are provided through Ticketmaster). Tonight’s show at the SB Bowl starts at 7 p.m., but get there early to find a scalper, because unfortunately, tickets sold out within hours. For info, call 962-7411. Ani DiFranco is back in town, and her solo acoustic performance just might ignite those extra bras you brought for burning. As always, Ani will bring her feminist and politically charged lyrics to the mic, accompanied with horn- and funk-infused Latin grooves. She will perform tonight in the Arlington Theater at 8. For info, call 963-4408.

Wednesday 10/29

Oh Kurdish brother, where art thou? Searching for a missing wife and keeping one’s spirits high with song sounds like a recent Clooney hit, but the socially conscious tragicomic road movie “Marooned in Iraq” focuses on a family’s struggle during the final days of the Persian Gulf War. Prepare to encounter black marketers, bandits and war orphans as you follow their journey tonight at 7:30 in Campbell Hall. Tickets are $5. For info, call 893-3535. It takes even more than just guts to attempt yet another interpretation of Beethoven, but acclaimed pianist and conductor Murray Perahia is confident in his art. He will be performing Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 5 (“Emperor”) tonight at 8 in the Arlington Theater. Tickets start at $30. Call 963-4408 for info.