The Francisco Torres resident accused of sexually assaulting several women in the residence hall was arraigned Thursday morning in a short proceeding at Santa Barbara Municipal Court.

Edidiong Udo, 18, faces charges on two counts of attempted rape, three counts of sexual battery and two counts of false imprisonment. Udo allegedly entered multiple rooms at the residence hall and committed offenses ranging from groping to attempted rape.

“My client would like to waive his right to formal reading and advisement and enter a plea of not guilty on all counts,” appointed public defender Casey Williamson said at the proceeding.

The not guilty plea was a given at this point in the proceedings, Santa Barbara County District Attorney Joyce Dudley said, adding that a guilty plea cannot be officially accepted at an arraignment.

The two sides will next meet on Oct. 8 to set a date for a preliminary hearing.

Udo spoke on only one occasion, when Santa Barbara Municipal Court Commissioner Deborah Talmage asked if he consented to waiving his right to a preliminary hearing within 10 days of arraignment.

Talmage asked if Udo understood, and he replied, “Yes, I do.” She asked if he agreed, and he said, “Yes.”

Udo stood in a sealed room to the left of the court facing the judge through a wall of glass. He wore an orange Santa Barbara County Jail jumpsuit and his hands were cuffed in front of him. He looked straight ahead and remained expressionless for much of the proceeding, but occasionally raised his hands toward his face and looked to the ground.