I don’t know how many of you watched the gubernatorial debate on Wednesday. Probably 100 out of the approximately 20,000 students who attend this school. For those of you who missed it, let me recap. Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante admitted that he and Gov. Gray Davis “spent too much” in the past few years, mounting to a $12-20 billion deficit. His solution to this is to tax the crap out of California to get more money instead of simply cutting spending. He intends to increase taxes on alcohol, cigarettes and the rich. Think about that – you may have a vested interest.

On the Republican side, there’s McClintock, a current state senator, who is informed about the issues and wants to fix the deficit by cutting spending. Unfortunately, he is also pro-Prop 54, pro-life and strongly against taking responsibility for “illegal” immigrants. There’s also the Democrat in Republican shoes, Arnold Schwarzenneger. He is against the hike in car registration, against the cuts to schools and against Prop 54. Many people automatically disregard him because TV programs and various Democratic professors tell them they should, but aggressive ignorance is not going to help you when the votes are in and we have another politician in office who’s going to screw us over either economically or socially. Schwarzenegger is not a politician; he’s a guy who worked his way up from nearly nothing to become independently wealthy and feels like it’s time to give something back.

Why put another career politician in office?