Thursday 5/1

He may be the father of this year’s Grammy princess Norah Jones, but the music they play is from two different worlds. Ravi Shankar, the world’s foremost sitar master, and his other daughter, sitar prodigy Anoushka, will captivate the Arlington Theatre tonight at 8. Ticket prices start at a limited availability of $25 and then shoot up to $40 so get your tickets early! For info call 893-3535. If the Arlington is sold out, head down State Street to see Code 415 and PAT*RIOT at Velvet Jones. These local punk rock boys will surely keep the bar jammin’. It’s college night so it’s free to get in this 21+ show. Call 965-8676 for more info.

Friday 5/2

You thought people were wearing face masks because of SARS? No, silly. It’s cuz the Velvet Jones is hosting the delicately titled Face Humpers tonight. These rockers will tear it up at Velvet Jones starting at 9. Plan to fork over a few bucks to get in the door for this 21+ show. For info call 965-8676. Representing the increasing voice of a new generation of Chicano/a and Latino/a artists, Chicano Secret Service will make its mark at the MCC Theater tonight at 8. The group will perform political satire with the aid of multimedia presentations. This free performance plans to confront controversial and political issues concerning social injustice. For more info call 893-8411.

Saturday 5/3

Computers make fabulous time wasters (Snood!) but wait ’til you see what these artists are doing with theirs. The Santa Barbara Contemporary Arts Forum presents the digital media and production artwork of ChanSchatz. These two artists create a new visual vocabulary with their signature colors and elaborate displays. Today’s free gallery talk with the artists starts at 4 p.m. but their art will be on display until June 15. Call 966-5373 for info. Satisfy your citrus cravings this weekend at the annual Orange Festival, being held in historical downtown Fillmore. Running through Sunday, they’ll provide food booths, carnival rides, live entertainment and of course… oranges aplenty! For more info call 524-0351.

Sunday 5/4

He’s touted as the Latin King of Comedy and starred in over 22 films, alongside some of the biggest names in Hollywood. Tonight, check out comedian Paul Rodriguez at Ventura Theatre, starting at 7. Tickets are a hefty $49.50 but you’ll be paid back in chuckles, Artsweek thinks. Call 639-3965 for info. The finger-picking folk master Leo Kottke will grace the Lobero Theatre tonight at 7:30. After generating a huge following by playing the folk festival circuit, he’s ready to take on SB with his John Hurt-influenced music. Tickets start at $27.50. For info call 963-0761.

Monday 5/5

Sublime gave KRS-One due credit back on 40 oz. to Freedom, so why not see what the fuss is about downtown at the Coach House. This East Coast rap legend has made a distinct name for himself since the late ’80s with his trademark style and political lyrics. Starting at 8, this show also features El Jefe and DJ Axis. Tickets are available at Just Play Music for this 18+ event. Call 965-0789 for info. Hey now, don’t go forgetting about downtown SB’s magnificent Cinco de Mayo festival all day today. There will be dance performances, music and food and craft booths to keep you in the holiday spirit.

Tuesday 5/6

If the title Nigerati doesn’t startle you at first, the lecture held by Amos Paul Kennedy Jr. definitely will. The African-American printer dedicates his work to the “documentation of Negro culture” and will appear in the MCC Lounge to speak about book-building as an art and means of expressing social and political messages. The lecture begins at 6:30 p.m. For info call 893-8411.

Wednesday 5/7

Expect to be surrounded by girls with black hair and bangs at the Hard to Find Showspace tonight. The emo hardcore band Elliot will melt your jaded little heart once the doors open at 9. Tickets are $3 with canned food donation. The Hard to Find is sneakily located at 7190 Hollister Ave., across from Baja Fresh.