Thursday 4/24

Marilyn Chin will share some emotionally and culturally charged poetry gems with you in the MCC Lounge tonight. Her latest books have focused on death and the issue of unsettled identity. This free reading will begin at 7. Call 893-8411 for more info. Though the term “melodic rock” sounds like something reserved for Nickelback, Artsweek promises the bands performing tonight at Velvet Jones, located at 423 State St., will be a far cry. Come see Lasting Endeavor with Awaiting Yesterday and Tame the Atom opening, as they blow the roof off the sucka starting at 10:30. For more info, visit www.velvet-jones.com.

Friday 4/25

Tom Petty is probably heartbroken, but the Dirty Knobs’ show must go on. This new guitar-driven rock band from southern California, formed by Mike Campbell of Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers will rock the Ventura Theatre tonight at 7. Tickets are $15. For info call 639-3965. Take a tour through corporate American greed and scandal as the Center Stage Theater presents “Success.” The musical comedy follows young heirs to a grocery store chain through their scamming, avoiding bankruptcy and the Feds. The show starts tonight at 8 as well as the April 26 and May 2-3 performances. Tickets are $8. For directions call 963-0408.

Saturday 4/26

If being a professional boxer, getting charged with murder and narrowly escaping the electric chair isn’t worth making a movie about, then Artsweek doesn’t know what is. Rubin “Hurricane” Carter will introduce the I.V. Theater screening of his film bio, “The Hurricane,” starring Denzel Washington tonight at 7:30. Tickets are $5. For info call 893-3535. Dublin’s in I.V. will play host to the laid back and playful acoustic duet of Jessica and Scott. Their original musical mix of classic rock and hip hop has packed the pub’s earlier shows, so get there by 9:30.

Sunday 4/27

Poking fun at past wardrobe choices (think puff paint) is one thing, but writing hilarious, best-selling books about one’s deepest insecurities is something only David Sedaris can pull off. This NPR staple will read from his most recent book during two performances being held in Campbell Hall, at 4 and 7 p.m. For info call 893-3535. Meow, meow, meow, meow. Bosco! Stop licking yourself and head down to the Arlington Theatre tonight to see the longest-running musical in British history, “Cats.” Tickets start at $35 and can be purchased through the Arlington Center Box Office. Tonight ends a three-day run in Santa Barbara.

Monday 4/28

Though everybody is too hip talk about their short-lived ska phase (there’s no shame in skanking… on the dance-floor), it’d be foolish not to get down to Bar Absinthe on Monday night to see the legendary Skatalites perform. Formed in 1963, this prolific collection of musicians has shaped modern notions of reggae, ska and rocksteady and are straight outta Kingston, jah. Tickets start at $12 and can be purchased at Just Play Music. For more info on this 21+ event call 965-5057.

Tuesday 4/29

“The Capitol Steps” are comprised of former congressional staffers that travel the country satirizing the people and government that once employed them. Tee hee. Tonight and tomorrow at 8, they’ll take over the Lobero Theatre, make you laugh out loud and maybe let you in on a few Capitol Hill secrets. Tickets are $25-35 . Call 963-0761 for info.

Wednesday 4/30

If hip hop took a page or two from Shakespeare’s journals, it might sound something like Saul Williams’ awe-inspiring slam poetry, coming to I.V. Theater tonight. On this last day of National Poetry Month witness a lyrical genius in person, for free! Starts at 8. Stelllllaaa! You too could have a Marlon Brando lookalike calling out to you tonight if you hitch a ride on “A Streetcar Named Desire.” This Tennessee Williams play starts at 7 in the Rubicon Theatre Company in Ventura. Tickets start at $28. The show runs from April 26 to May 25. For info call 667-2900.