“American Dreams: Lost and Found,” a theatric adaptation of a book of interviews published by Pulitzer Prize-winner Studs Terkel will be performed by The Acting Company on Wednesday at 8 p.m. in Campbell Hall.

“American Dreams: Lost and Found” is the third production in The Acting Company’s American Century series, a program that develops and produces new plays adapted from American literature. The performance is the California premiere of the piece, which was adapted by Peter Frisch and is directed by Rebecca Guy.

The performance shows the dreams and aspirations of real people who Terkel interviewed including an embittered Miss USA pageant winner, an ambitious businessman, farm kids, city boys, a member of the Ku Klux Klan and a young Puerto Rican bellhop. In the book, Terkel strove to defy stereotypes and discover the humanity inherent in everyone.

The Acting Company was founded in 1972 by John Houseman and current Producing Director Margot Harley with members of Juilliard’s Drama Division’s first graduating class. It has performed for over 2 million people in 48 states and nine other countries. In addition to performing, the 13-member cast teaches master classes, student matinees and performance-based workshops of Shakespeare for young audiences in poor areas across the nation.

Terkel is the author of eight books of oral history including The Good War, for which he won a Pulitzer Prize. He is currently archiving his large collection of interviews at the Chicago Historical Society.

Admission is $16-19 for students and $25-28 for general admission. Audience members will have the opportunity to meet the cast after the show during a discussion period. The performance will be accompanied by an American Sign Language interpreter for hearing-impaired audience members.