Calendar

Thursday 3/6

While most celebrities are stepping outside their golden gates to protest in antiwar campaigns, novelist Arundhati Roy is using her fame to stand up against the multinational corporations in order to defend the people of India. Tonight at 7:30 in Campbell Hall, Roy’s struggle to stop the Narmada dam project will be presented in Aradhana Seth’s film “DAM/AGE.” Tickets are $5. For info call 893-3535. Pop quiz hotshot. Why do the names Boo Radley and Atticus Finch ring a bell? That’s right, Santa Barbara City College presents “To Kill a Mockingbird” tonight at Garvin Theatre. Tickets are $12. Call 965-5935 for info.

Friday 3/7

Break out the taped glasses and pocket protectors. Nerd rock returns tonight with local punk legends Nerf Herder playing alongside up-and-comers the Black Plastics at Velvet Jones, located at 423 State St., downtown. It’s the right time to get that junk in da’ trunk bumpin’ so make it by 10. Call 965-8676 for more info. Also tonight, the UCSB Hip Hop Club presents “Battle at the Barb, Part II,” at Girvetz 1004. What’s been billed as “pure mic warfare” sounds a little menacing but no doubt entertaining as all hell. Bring $3 and get yo’ ass there by 7.

Saturday 3/8

Acclaimed as the hottest dancers in Santa Barbara, BASSH (Ballroom, Argentine Tango, Swing, Salsa and Hip Hop) will incite all in attendance to get their feet movin’ tonight and tomorrow at 8 in the Lobero Theatre. Fork over $15 to experience this spicy melee and call 963-0761 for info. What could be more relieving than finishing finals? How about local boys El Jefe celebrating the release of their first CD tonight at Velvet Jones? With a mixture of rock, reggae and hip hop, they will be partying it up with the band Tabularasa at 9. For info on this 21+ event call 965-8676.

Sunday 3/9

You’ve been dreaming of going back to the’60s, when the music actually had a message and bands weren’t whining about having to grow up. Tonight, see folksinger David Rovics play at 7. He performed at the State of the Union protests and is now bringing his antiwar message to the MCC Theater. Tickets are $5. Call 893-3757. They must be getting big if they’re hitting South by Southwest Music Conference in Texas, so check out Hella, along with Pink Hand Grenade and Progressive Orthopedics at the Hard to Find Showspace, at 7190 Hollister Ave. As always, bring canned food and good manners.

Monday 3/10 / Tuesday 3/11

In support of his recently published book, Abandon, Pico Iyer will deliver his presentation entitled “Islam and California: A Cultural Romance.” This multicultural observer will take Victoria Hall’s stage Monday night at 8. Tickets are $6. For info call 893-3535. On Tuesday night, two literary groups Spectrum and Into the Teeth of the Wind, from the College of Creative Studies, will present a performance and reading of poetry and prose. This free event will be held in Old Little Theatre and will begin at 7. They’ll even have free refreshments. Yippee! For info, email .

Wednesday 3/12

You awaken, shipwrecked on an island filled with gorgeous people and lots of magical happenings. Tee hee. The Actors from the London Stage presentation of Shakespeare’s “The Tempest” will engage this fantasy tonight at 7 in the Lobero Theatre. They perform this classic in a non-traditional way by playing off of the audience’s imagination. Tickets are $10. Call 963-0761. Tonight also brings the dazzling fusion of Arabic and contemporary jazz music performed by Simon Shaheen and his band Qantara at 8. To see this group alongside dizzying ethnic dances, get to Campbell Hall and relieve the wallet of $16. For info call 893-3535.