Alcohol and violence combined on the 6700 block of Trigo Road Saturday, resulting in the arrest of a 20-year-old man for rape.

Isla Vista Foot Patrol was called early Saturday morning after a group of passersby allegedly saw a man sexually assaulting a woman in an alley between two apartment complexes. IVFP officers found Nicholas Holman, 20, detained by a group of partygoers at 3:05 a.m. Those surrounding Holman identified him as the rapist. After interviewing Holman and several witnesses, officers arrested Holman for raping an intoxicated victim, engaging in oral copulation, and penetration with a foreign object. His bail was set at $60,000.

According to a witness who wished to remain anonymous, a prolonged fight between the alleged rapist and several other people ensued after Holman and the victim were separated. The witness said both a bat and a bottle were used in the fight to detain Holman. Also, several bystanders were struck by stray punches. The fight eventually led the involved parties across the street from the scene of the alleged crime.

Sgt. Brian Olmstead said the 19-year-old victim was “extremely intoxicated.” Paramedics took her to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital in an ambulance, where she was treated and released that morning.

No one besides Holman was arrested for any involvement in the fight.

Omstead said the investigation is ongoing.