Thursday- 2/13

Modern literary legend Maya Angelou will be speaking on behalf of her latest book and completion of her six-volume cycle of memoirs at the Arlington Theatre. “Maya Angelou: An Evening of Distinction” will be presented at 8 p.m. with tickets starting at $28. Call 963-4408 for info. One usually just sees zombies stumbling around during midterms, but tonight the Mercury Lounge in Goleta offers “When Monsters Walked the Earth.” DJ Matson will be tearin’ it up starting at 10 while spinning rock and punk for this 21+ event. The Merc is located at 5871 Hollister Ave. For info call 967-0907.

Friday- 2/14

Jimi Hendrix would roll over in his grave if he heard the sounds of Junior Brown. Hear a sample of Brown’s mixture of steel guitar and Hendrix’s electric power solos tonight at the Ventura Theatre. You can see him kissin’ the sky tonight for $35. Call 639-3965 for info. One was the loneliest number until it met UCSB’s charismatic and highly talented young thespians. The drama department has been an untapped source for great entertainment, so go support the graduate students one-act plays, showing on campus in the Studio Theatre. It’s free and runs through Sunday, starting at 8 each night.

Saturday- 2/15

The name sounds as flavorful as their music, with a spicy, eclectic blend of zydeco, rock, blues and country. The Gourds will be hoein’ it down with The Chuck Prophet Band’s country-rock tunes at the Lobero Theatre tonight, starting at 8. Tickets are $34.50. For info call 963-0761. Also perfoming tonight is the prolific hip hop duo the Coup, with special guest the Limbz, at Bar Absinthe. Pam the Funkstress lays down her turn-table magic to Boots Riley’s politically charged lyrics starting at 8. Tickets are $12 at the door or $14 from www.ticketweb.com. For more info on this 21+ event call 965-5057.

Sunday- 2/16

It’s in his name, so expect to experience a “fein” show tonight. Starting at 8, Grammy-nominated composer and arranger Michael Feinstein will captivate audiences who make it down to the Lobero Theatre, located at the corner of Canon Perdido and Anacapa streets in Santa Barbara. Tickets cost – ahem – $65 to check out this world-famous performer. Call 963-0761 for info. If one night of classical music isn’t enough, the Santa Barbara Symphony is performing at the Arlington Theatre, starting at 3 p.m. Though still a hefty blow to the wallet, these tickets are a smidgen cheaper at $43.50. Call 963-4408 for info.

Monday- 2/17/Tuesday- 2/18

Stupidity has yet to be proven contagious, so don’t hesitate to see Slightly Stoopid perform at Velvet Jones tonight, starting at 10. Their punk rock beats don’t kill brain cell – they’ll leave that part up to you. For ticket info on this 21+ event, call 965-8676. Also playing tonight are the jazzy documentaries “Lady Day: The Many Faces of Billie Holiday” and “The World According to John Coltrane.” The lives of these two revered jazz pioneers will be showing in Campbell Hall at 7:30 and tickets are $5. For info call 893-3535.

Wednesday- 2/19

You’ve been holding it for a few hours already and your bladder is about to burst, in addition to sitting “left nut” in a Dodge Neon. Naturally all you can stand to whine is, “are we almost there?” A band that appears to understand your pain, called Almost There, plays tonight at the Coach House, located at 110 S. Santa Barbara St., downtown. The band will start rockin’ at 8, so don’t be late. For info, call 965-0789. Holding down the indie rock fort tonight, the Mighty Rime will show you how it’s done at the Hard to Find Showspace, located at 7190 Hollister Ave. Prices are usually a few bucks if you bring some canned goods.