Live music, face-painting, haunted houses, a pumpkin patch and costume contests are just a few of the activities that will mark the first night of the Halloween and D’a de los Muertos festivals in Isla Vista’s Anisq’ Oyo’ Park.

The Isla Vista Recreation and Parks District held its last planning meeting Tuesday to finalize preparations for Halloween events on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1.

The portion of Embarcadero del Mar from Pardall Road to Seville Road will be blocked off from 1 to 11:30 p.m. to allow for the setup of a DJ platform, dance area, super slide and cowboy bounce house.

Over 2,000 children, community members and UCSB students attended the festivities last year and a comparable number are expected to stop by this year, IVRPD’s festival coordinator Sarah McKittrick said.

“Because the IVRPD is exempt from new noise ordinances in place this year, people will come to where the music is,” she said.

Bands performing live from 6 to 11:30 p.m. include Kissing Tiger, Lasting Endeavor, Somos Son and Code 415, a Misfits tribute band.

IVRPD has received generous contributions from Hurley International, Powell Skateboards and Santa Barbara youth organization Girls Inc. in the form of T-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, sunglasses, backpacks, a skateboard, a scooter and haunted house decorations. The items will be raffled off throughout the afternoon and evening as well as given out as prizes for winners of the costume competitions.

When the park celebrations end Halloween night, the doors to I.V. Theater will open at 11:30 p.m. for a free screening of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

El Congreso, a student group that promotes Latino and Chicano community outreach, has been working with the IVRPD to develop traditional altar setups and arrange food and mariachi music to authentically celebrate the Mexican D’a de los Muertos festival.

Lorena Santos, a first-year Chicano studies major and representative of El Congreso, said participants can enjoy close to 24 hours of D’a de los Muertos activities between Nov. 1 and 2.

Santos and McKittrick both said there was a tremendous need for a student volunteers over the Halloween weekend.

“We need lots of students to help with setup, security and directly with the children at the arts and crafts booths and pumpkin-carving stations,” McKittrick said.

Students wishing to volunteer should contact the IVRPD at 968-2017.