It’s your senior year, you are about to graduate, and you and your friends want to go out and have fun. You go to a party, have some drinks, dance and have fun. When it’s time to go home, you and your friends have all had something to drink. Instead of staying or waiting for a cab you decide to drive home, thinking you are all right. You and your friends get in the car and drive home, however you do not make it home. You took one too many drinks and now your life and the lives of others have been taken away because of one situation that could have been avoided.

Every year thousands of people die from drunken driving. This year I have chosen to be a peer health educator through Student Health. My goal to help other students, specifically at UCSB, to make healthier and responsible decisions through STAR. STAR stands for Students Teaching Alcohol and other drug Responsibilities and is a peer group who’s motto is to promote moderate drinking and support those who choose not to drink. This year we are continuing our fight by sponsoring Safe Graduation. Safe Graduation will take place on Thursday, May 30 in Storke Plaza from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. The purpose is to promote a safe graduation and to get people to pledge to celebrate safely and designate a sober driver. There will be a DJ, games and prizes for pledges. So show your support and help reduce the number of deaths this year by coming to Safe Grad and signing a pledge. Be safe and drink responsibly. Think Safe Graduation!

JONETTA OWENS