Assistant Coach Resigns

The UCSB women’s basketball team has lost another member of its successful program.

Assistant Coach Kristen Gillespie resigned from her coaching duties at UC Santa Barbara on Wednesday to complete her graduate work in sports management at North Carolina State, according to UCSB Head Coach Mark French.

Swimmer Named on Academic Team

Also on Wednesday, Gaucho senior swimmer Ethan Hall was named to the 2002 Verizon Academic All-District VIII Men’s At-Large First Team. The breast and individual medley swimmer was one of 22 athletes named to the team. Hall, the only UCSB athlete selected for the District VIII team, will be placed on the national ballot after qualifying for the First Team. The ballot will be released on June 11.

For two seasons, Gillespie helped the Gauchos enjoy strong recruiting classes. The 2001-02 class boasted Big West Freshman of the Year forward Kristen Mann and All-Freshman guard Mia Fisher. Mann and Fisher were two of seven freshmen on last season’s roster to contribute a sixth consecutive Big West crown.

“Kristen has done a great job for us,” French said. “She has been a fabulous recruiter, and our recruiting classes the last two years reflect that.”

Gillespie played and started at the point for the Wolfpack, leading North Carolina State to a Final Four appearance in the 1998 NCAA Tournament.

“Kristen put her heart and soul into this program,” French said. “She will be missed. We wish her well, and she will always be a part of our Gaucho family.”

-Nexus Staff Report