On Saturday evening, UCSB Kapatirang Pilipino club’s 11th annual Pilipino Cultural Night, titled “Pieces of the Puzzle,” will be held at Campbell Hall.

After almost a year of preparation, the organization stands proud and eager to showcase an evening of music, hip hop, traditional dancing and skit performances. The show is organized and produced entirely by students, and follows four UCSB alumni through their reflections on life as they reunite. Tickets are on sale in the Arbor today for $10 or at the door for $12. The show starts at 4 p.m.

“This is the largest and longest running student-run performance held on campus, and we’re just really proud of it,” KP Choral Director and senior music major Ruvi Dayao said. “People can see the potential for what students on campus can do.”

The event’s organizers see the show as a way to teach students about Filipino culture.

“Externally, the show helps us educate the community on Filipino and Filipino-American issues,” PCN Coordinator and senior global studies major Charlene Sarmiento said. “Internally, it becomes a way for our members to learn about Filipino culture, ideas and issues.”

“There are really no classes offered at UCSB about Filipino culture, besides one offered every other year, so we look at this show as an opportunity to really educate the community in a way that is entertaining,” Sarmiento said. “It’s not like having to sit in lecture while reading a book.”

PCN is an organization in itself that is part of the larger club, Kapatirang Pilipino, which translates to “Filipino Brotherhood/Sisterhood.” Originally named the Pilipino Student Union in 1978, the group eventually changed its title while growing to its current size of 250 members.

Just one year away from its 25th anniversary, KP is one of the largest Asian-American student organizations on campus, and works hard to create a welcoming and safe place for minority students as well as non-Filipinos at UCSB.

“KP really took me in as a freshman,” KP Co-Chair and junior theater major Christine Corpuz said. “It’s a great organization that really anyone can relate to. One third of our members aren’t even Filipino.”

The group’s philosophy will extend into Saturday’s show, Corpuz said.

“We really wish people on this campus would come out to see the show. The stories are ones that anyone can relate to,” she said. “We don’t want people to just look at us as Filipino students. Look at us as peers.”

Script writing for the show began in June of last year, with rehearsals running daily for much of this school year. KP has also organized a hip hop showcase that debuted Winter Quarter, and works with the Shoreline Preservation Fund and other outreach programs in the community.

“We really want people to give the show a chance,” Corpuz said. “It’s definitely something different. People will be able to relate, through the music, dancing … all of it. Really, it’s something that these students have put their hearts into for more than a year that can be educational, entertaining and really just something to do.”