Sure, we all know the saying that we’re sexy in our own special way. Nonetheless, don’t you feel, deep down inside you, that there should be a way to enhance your sex life or that of your partner?

Don’t deny it – we’re all looking for some way to intensify the sexual experience. People have been looking for things to do this for millennia, from cock rings to sexy lingerie to red wine. Food – when we’re not avoiding it to lose another 10 pounds – has often been assigned sex-enhancing qualities.

I’m not just talking about chocolate and oysters, here. Most of us have tried that stuff (that box from See’s on Valentine’s Day?) and it hasn’t worked, except maybe psychologically. There’s a whole array of aphrodisiacs that have been tried and retried through the centuries.

The walnut, for instance, has been respected for its supposed arousing qualities since Roman times. Even its Latin name – juglans, which literally means “the glans (head of the penis) of Jupiter” – suggests some sort of sexual property. But then the Romans – at least, the pagan Romans – are famous for their rumored sexual promiscuity.

In Ukraine, where they are not necessarily famed for any kind of deviant sexuality at all, the people have been trying different kinds of aphrodisiacs for centuries. Hemp seeds, served roasted and salted, are supposed to pack a powerful punch – but only for males. It used to be customary to feed the bridegroom hemp seeds at his wedding, in preparation for his wedding night.

Carrots and celery, benign as they seem, also shared popularity in Ukraine as sex-drive enhancers. There’s even an old Ukrainian saying to go along with it: “If your husband is old and weak you must have him drink juice from two big carrots and one celery.”

Today, though, all these natural goodies have gone out of style. Ukrainians now drink a concoction of beer and sour cream to stimulate themselves.

Sushi, especially unagi, or raw sea eel, and uni, sea urchin roe, is also a popular aphrodisiac both in Japan and the U.S., not only because of the way it looks and feels in the mouth, but because it’s a fun food to eat and to feed to each other.

But that’s simple stuff. If you really want to turn yourself or your partner on, you have to go hard core. No, I don’t mean apples.

Snake’s blood in some east Asian countries is popular as an aphrodisiac, especially the blood of venomous snakes. In parts of Malaysia, live snakes are brought to the table, their tails are pierced and the customer sucks some of the blood from the tiny wounds.

Many people also believe that eating the genitalia of certain animals induces a stronger sex drive. Like strengthens like, right? The genitals of deer in particular seem to have been popular, especially the penis, which also is supposed to be good against bladder infections and blood in the urine.

In our own Midwest, “prairie oysters,” or bull testicles, are both a delicacy and a proclaimed aphrodisiac. Personally, I’ve heard that they’re supposed to be eaten raw, but the more squeamish can dust the “oysters” in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and cayenne (cut up the oysters into bite-sized chunks if they’re large), and then sautŽ them in a pan of hot oil. Sounds delicious.

I’m not necessarily saying that any of these foodstuffs work, but it’s worth a shot, isn’t it? Try some of these out on yourself or your partner, and see what happens.

Daily Nexus opinion editor Sarah Kent thinks food is sexy, no matter what, but especially when your significant other cooked it up special for you. Send her your sex ideas, comments and questions to <opinion@dailynexus.com>.