UCSB women’s soccer forward Jen Borcich was named the Big West Women’s Soccer Player of the Week on Monday for her exploits against University of California-Irvine and Long Beach State last weekend.

Borcich tallied three goals on the weekend in the two road victories against the Anteaters and the 49ers. Santa Barbara improved to 5-1 in the Big West Conference and control their own destiny for first place after this weekend’s dominating efforts.

Borcich nailed the first goal against Irvine and assisted on another during the 4-0 victory. In a 3-1 thrashing of Long Beach State, Borcich was involved in every goal scored by the Gauchos. Borcich scored the first goal, assisted on the second and pounded home her ninth goal of the season to wrap up scoring for UCSB.

In the Irvine game, Borcich assisted freshman forward Erin Griswold, who scored on a header early in the first half.

At Long Beach, Borcich found the net at the 8:50 mark, scoring an unassisted goal. 20 seconds later, freshman midfielder Krystal Sandza took a pass from Borcich to score on a breakaway. Borcich then scored at the 21:46 mark, benefited from assists by senior midfielder Kathryn Fox and junior midfielder Jen Codington.

If Santa Barbara defeats Cal State Fullerton and either University of California-Riverside or Cal Poly, the Gauchos will capture first place in conference.

-Nexus Staff Report