At a preliminary hearing for rape suspect Ted Tyler on Wednesday morning, the district attorney’s office requested a continuation until Monday, Oct. 29, to consider the possibility of bringing additional charges against Tyler.

Tyler is the suspect of a sexual assault that occurred Sunday, Sept. 23, on the 6700 block of Del Playa Drive. Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Dept. detectives said Tyler entered the victim’s residence through an unlocked door and fled when the victim woke during the assault. Deputies arrested Tyler after a roommate of the victim positively identified him as the suspect.

Tyler is charged with first degree residential burglary, sexual battery, anal or genital penetration and receiving stolen property. Deputy District Attorney Gordon Auchincloss, who said Tyler had keys to another Isla Vista residence in his possession at the time of the arrest, filed the stolen property charge. The additional charges that the prosecution seeks to add involve the possible theft of three cell phones, a charger and several wristwatches.

Auchincloss said Tyler was on probation for possession of stolen property when he was arrested for the assault.

“At the arraignment Tyler pleaded not guilty, which is standard in most court cases. In most felony cases the suspects plead not guilty at the arraignment,” Auchincloss said. “As far as the trial goes, it depends on how fast Mr. Tyler and his attorney want to speed things along. It might take as long as three to four months.”

Tyler is currently being held at Santa Barbara County Jail with no bail.