Goleta resident Lanora Loyd was rescued in good condition on Thursday, May 24, after she was missing for a week.

Loyd was camping in Upper Oso with a friend when she left the campsite on Thursday, May 17 to retrieve supplies and never returned. Her car was found two days later on West Camino Cielo Road, near San Marcos Pass.

Just after 6 p.m. on May 24, Santa Barbara County Dispatch received a 911 call from Jeannette Webber, a friend of Loyd’s, who said she had located her about two miles west from where the vehicle was found. Webber said she was calling Loyd’s name in the area when she recognized Loyd’s voice calling back to her.

Loyd responded to Webber’s calls and said she wanted to be left alone and told Webber not to call the Sheriff’s Dept., Lt. Mike Burridge said.

Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Dept. Search and Rescue responded to the call and were able to locate Loyd approximately 250 to 300 yards down a steep canyon from the edge of West Camino Cielo Road. The trail conditions leading to Loyd were extremely poor, according to Search and Rescue personnel, which forced them to cut through heavy brush with chainsaws in order to access the victim.

Upon approaching the victim, they found Loyd naked and suffering from dehydration but in relatively good condition. Loyd was able to walk out of the canyon with the assistance of the Search and Rescue team. Burridge said Loyd had spent the week outside without apparent supplies or shelter.

Loyd was treated by paramedics and then transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

According to Burridge, Loyd did not explain to authorities why she was in the brush or why she did not attempt to alert previous rescuers when they passed by her location.

— Ladan Moeenziai