The UCSB men’s and women’s track teams competed in two successful meets at Occidental College in Los Angeles and the Modesto Relays up north on Saturday.

The two meets were the final chance for the Gauchos to strut their stuff before the Big West Championships occur throughout this week at Long Beach State. Multi-events will be held on Wednesday and Thursday, and regular preliminaries and finals are on May 18 and May 19.

Junior middle-distance runner Bryon Lamorandier jolted to one of the finest performances of his first year at Santa Barbara. Lamorandier ran the third fastest marked run in the Big West with a 1:51.99 while competing in the 800-meter event. Lamorandier normally competes in the 1,500 meter but quickly found a niche in the shorter race.

Senior hurdler Ryan Kwast turned in a time of 54.40 in the 400 hurdles, the strongest performance for Kwast this season.

Senior Jessica Lunt ran a 4:25.46 in the 1500 meter. Sophomore Amber Newsome bolted for a 25.12 in the 200 meter. Senior Beth Foster hurled the best shot put of the year with a mark of 43’7.5″.

Throughout the tournament, the Gauchos will rely on junior long-distance runner Josh Horton in the 10-K and 5-K. Horton finished first and second, respectively, in the races last year to gain a team-high 18 points. Senior Baruti Armstrong was an all-conference hurdler last year in the 400 hurdles. Lamorandier will also be a force to be reckoned with this week.

Senior middle-distance runners Ali Pearson and Lunt will compete in the 800-meter and 1,500-meter events. Sophomore Jasmine Washington finished third last year in the 400 meter. Sophomore Katie Appenrodt will compete for all-conference honors in the 1,500 meter and 5,000 meter. Freshmen Gilleon Smith in the long jump and Cosette Smith in the 1,500 meter hope to make waves in each of their respective events.