Talent, personality and how hot the girls looked in “Friday Night Fun Wear” were all taken into consideration as 16 of I.V.’s loveliest ladies duked it out for the Miss Isla Vista crown, $500, a role in the upcoming Britney Spears movie and (most importantly) the prestigious 2001 Artsweek “Recognition of Excellence Award” mixtape. At the end, it was Alabama import Shy Pilgreen of Gamma Phi Beta who shined a little bit brighter than everyone else. After winning the title, she sat down with Artsweek for a little heart-to-heart.

Artsweek: Are you excited about being in a movie with Britney Spears?

Miss I.V.: I’m very excited about it! I like her music, and she’s a really good dancer too! I think she’s from Tennessee, too, huh?

Yeah, she’s definitely southeast style, like you. So, what was your beauty regime for the pageant?

Oh my god! Well, let’s see. For the talent part, I only had five minutes – so I didn’t really do anything. Um, the Friday outfit part took me about 45 minutes. I’m really clumsy with make-up, sooo, it took me a while to put it all on (laughs).

Who is your style icon?

Style as in actress, or …

Anyone.

Julia Roberts. She gives me hope, cuz she’s from Georgia.

What advice would you give to the average Isla Vista guy trying to pick up on Miss I.V.?

I don’t go out too much in I.V. because of the way guys treat girls here. I don’t respect it at all. I’ve been out a couple of times, but not in any way that I would like anyone that I’ve seen. … You go into these parties and it’s just like guys on girls, and umm … I mean it’s fun to dance, but then it goes a little bit more than that. I don’t really like that very much.

Sweet. Name the seven dwarfs.

Dopey, um, Curly? Is he one?

No.

Dopey, Sleepy … no, I can’t. I’m too “on the spot.”

That’s OK. Puppies or kittens?

Puppies! Puppies are great! Little ones that don’t get big!

How much money would it take for you to pose nude in Playboy?

Oh no, I wouldn’t do it.

How about in Artsweek?

No, my dad would fly out here himself and come get me.

Do you know who won first and second place for “Best Arts Section” at the California Intercollegiate Press Association awards?

The Nexus?

Yes! What’s your sign?

Pisces.

What are you doing Friday night?

I’m working Friday night. Sorry.