The University Press Council selected Jennifer Pearson as editor in chief of La Cumbre yearbook for the 2001-2002 school year Monday.

Pearson, a junior English major, was the only person to run for the job. She served this year as assistant editor.

“I think we can make [the yearbook] more modern and more historically valuable, and a thing of beauty too,” she said. “I want it to be more of a factual base, instead of something that’s kind of cute and you’re reading it and you go, ‘Aww, cute.’ That’s important, in a way, but we want something that portrays the year well in a graphically pleasing way.”

Current Editor in Chief Michelle Schulz was also the only person to run last year. The position takes a special breed, Pearson said.

“You have to do it for the love of it. You certainly don’t get paid enough to justify your dedication,” she said. “People don’t like spending Spring Break working. Not going home for Thanksgiving isn’t what most people consider fun. But for some reason we like it. And we stick with it. And people who are really crazy, like me, go all the way.”

The La Cumbre yearbook will be available at the end of Spring Quarter. Pearson will begin this quarter to prepare for next year’s book.

– Eric Simons