Associated Students internal vice presidential candidates Cameron Ahler, a junior political science major, and Shaina Walter, a Legislative Council representative and junior law and society major, squared off in the first A.S. elections debate Tuesday in the Hub.

Walter has been a member of A.S. for the past two years and has worked on Program Board, which brings concerts and movies to campus, and the “Get Out the Vote” drive during the November elections.

Ahler, who is a member of the UCSB lacrosse team, admitted to a lack of experience but said he is interested in increasing interaction between A.S and students. He also recommended expanding school-funded tours to connect the campus with the community.

“The most prominent issue at UCSB is that people don’t seem to care. Students just seem to show up to class and leave, and that’s it,” he said. “I don’t think people even care about these elections.”

Walter said she also sees a lack of participation between students and Leg Council members, and recommends mandatory outdoor office hours and a media relations committee. She also said she recognizes problems with populated student housing.

“I think expansion, to an extent, is a good thing but the university needs to take care of the students who are already here,” she said.

Both candidates said they would try to improve safety in Isla Vista – possibly through more blue-light phones. Ahler also suggested increased lighting while Walter said she would encourage participation on the Safety 2000 Committee.

Debates continue in the Hub today with the external vice presidential candidates of statewide affairs at 11 a.m. and presidential candidates at 1 p.m.

– Sarah Healy