Editor, Daily Nexus:

I am very disappointed with the Associated Students’ recent decision to unequivocally support the expansion of the Chumash Indian gambling casino in the Santa Ynez Valley.

The resolution they recently approved simply states that A.S. endorses the Chumash’s current expansion project proposal.

It is clear, even after my staff spoke at a previous Legislative Council meeting and supplied A.S. with letters from every local community in the valley asking the Chumash and the governor to work together on a mutually beneficial solution, that A.S. blindly adopted a resolution with little or no further research into this important community issue.

Had the A.S. resolution implied that they supported Indian self-reliance, encouraged the tribe and the community to work together, or even asked the county to reconsider its current position, it would have demonstrated that they not only had a grasp of the issue but were offering up a potential solution that could bring the parties together.

Unfortunately, this statement was made without recognition of the ultimate effects a 200,000-square-foot casino expansion coupled with a five-story parking lot will have on rural Santa Ynez.

I hope in the future A.S. will perform some degree of thoughtful research on the issues and present that information to its council before it decides to adopt what may end up being a premature or ill-conceived position.
GAIL MARSHALL
3RD DISTRICT COUNTY SUPERVISOR