An unidentified male was pronounced dead on the scene Sunday morning after falling from a Del Playa Road balcony.

At 1:38 a.m. Sunday, March 4, Isla Vista Foot Patrol officers were dispatched to 6681 Del Playa Rd., the scene of a party where a male subject had fallen off a rear balcony onto the beach below. When deputies arrived on the scene, witnesses said the subject had been dancing on the balcony when he suddenly fell over the patio railing.

Deputies immediately found the subject face down in knee deep water below the residence, with obvious signs of head trauma from the fall, Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Public Information Officer Lt. Mike Burridge said.

“The injuries were consistent with the fall,” he said.

Deputies estimated the decedent fell 40 to 50 feet. Witnesses attending the party told deputies the subject was “jumping up and down” on the rear balcony as he danced. When he neared the patio railing, he suddenly fell over the railing onto the beach below. The patio railing appeared to be in good condition, according to Burridge.

Lt. Burridge said suicide and foul play have been ruled out, and the cause of death was accidental. The deceased had no identification on his person, and nobody attending the party could identify him to authorities. He was described as a white male in his early 20s, approximately 6 feet tall and 190 pounds with short brown hair, hazel eyes and a small goatee. He was wearing brown pants, a dark- colored belt and black boot-type shoes and had no shirt on at the time of the fall.

The decedent has not been identified. The IVFP encourages anyone with information regarding the incident or the decedent to contact its office at 681-4148.