The rain may be able to stop the UCSB baseball team from playing, but it can’t keep the Gauchos from winning.

Senior southpaw Rylie Ogle was named Big West pitcher of the week for his performance against Loyola Marymount last Friday. Ogle pitched eight strong innings, giving up only one earned run on five hits, while striking out five. With the win, Ogle improved to 2-1 on the season and lowered his team leading ERA to 2.33.

“It’s a pretty nice honor, especially playing in this conference,” Ogle said. “But one game doesn’t make you a good pitcher. You’ve got to do it for a couple of seasons.”

Ogle used a fastball, change-up and slider against LMU, repeatedly leaving the Lions guessing as to which pitch would be coming next.

“He had great control and was keeping the ball low,” junior right fielder Jed Stringham said. “He hit the corners for a lot of strikes.”

For his part, UCSB Head Coach Bob Brontsema thought Ogle shined in what was only his third start of the season.

“[Ogle] pitched very well against LMU,” Brontsema said on Monday. “He was locating his fastball well, and that’s his game. He doesn’t overpower you, he beats you with pitching.”

The award was a bright spot in an otherwise disheartening day for Santa Barbara, which had its game against LMU postponed due to rain.

“We were dressed and ready to get on the bus,” Stringham said. “It was really disappointing when coach came out and told us to go to class because the game was canceled.”

The rainout marked the sixth time this year UCSB has had a game either delayed or canceled altogether. The game against the Lions, originally scheduled for last Saturday at LMU, has been tentatively rescheduled for Thursday, March 1, at 2 p.m. at Caesar Uyesaka Stadium.