Junior law and society major Miyaka Geh died at her home in Los Angeles on Feb. 12.

The gunshot wound was apparently self-inflicted, LAPD homicide Detective Brian Gasparian said.

Friends remembered a pretty, outgoing and kind 20-year-old woman with dreams of becoming a lawyer.

“She was the funniest girl I’ve ever met,” junior law and society major Joslyn Timmons said. “She was always willing to make others feel comfortable, no matter what – she had a natural talent for that.”

Junior global studies and French major William Lang went to Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, Calif., with Geh and was her roommate this year in Isla Vista.

“When we found out we were going to school together up here we were so excited. She knew everybody. She was the most outgoing person I’ve ever met,” he said. “Honestly, I’d walk down the hall with her and I would feel like such a loser because she would say ‘hi’ to probably 50 people, and I’d know maybe one. It’s probably unnecessary for me to say anything about her because I think everyone knew her.”

Another roommate, junior business economics major Lorna Berryessa, said Geh was good looking, with an easy grace.

“She was one of the most beautiful people I’ve ever seen, and everyone that knew her would say that,” Berryessa said. “She was the type of person you could spot on the other side of campus because she was the most noticeable person. The way she stood, she was very exotic looking and she carried herself like a movie star.”

Geh did well at UCSB, Lang said.

“She made the extra effort in school and did well in it,” he said. “She planned to be a lawyer.”

However, Geh withdrew from classes in November. Berryessa said Geh suffered from depression. Geh returned for Winter Quarter, but stayed only six days before leaving again.

Her mother found Geh’s body on the morning of Feb. 12. The Los Angeles County coroner’s office pronounced her dead at 11:20 a.m. Friends and family gathered in L.A. for her funeral on Feb. 22.

Lang said people from throughout Geh’s life attended the service.

“Even her teachers from high school spoke [Thursday] at the funeral,” Lang said. “They told everyone she was the light that would come into the room and brighten up everyone.”

“There was one time that really showed that she cared about other people,” Berryessa said. “It was back in freshman year, and I did really bad on an exam in one of my econ classes. I had that class with her and I think she even did worse than me. But I was so upset about it, and she knew it. She went to the store while I was buying coffee and she bought me a card. It said, ‘I’ll love you no matter what your econ grade is.’ It was just a really sweet gesture that she did. That’s how she was.”