Best Dressed Guy in the Drunk Tank

At approximately 2:30 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 19, Isla Vista Foot Patrol officers patrolling the 900 block of Embarcadero Del Norte observed a 21-year-old male attempting to ride a bicycle southbound in the middle of the roadway.

The suspect immediately fell over the handlebars on the bicycle. When the suspect attempted to get up, he said, “oh shit” and fell back down on the ground. The officers contacted the suspect to see if he was injured.

When the officers escorted the suspect out of the roadway and onto the sidewalk, they could smell a strong odor of alcohol emitting from his breath and person. When officers asked how much he had to drink, the suspect said, “We were drinking downtown.”

When officers asked where he was going, the suspect said, “I was trying to go home.” The suspects’ eyes were red and watery and his speech was slurred. The officers detained the suspect and began leading him to the IVFP station.

While en route to the IVFP station, the suspect asked the officers four times why he was being arrested. The officers explained to the suspect that he was unable to care for his own safety due to his level of intoxication.

Upon arrival at the IVFP station, the suspect became argumentative and uncooperative. The suspect said, “I am 21, I am allowed to be drunk. You fucking dick, you can’t arrest me. I am 21, just let me go home. Why are you doing this, I am the best dressed guy in Isla Vista.” The officers noticed the suspect had a rip in the right knee of his pants.

The suspect was arrested for public intoxication and transported to the Santa Barbara County Jail, where he was housed, pending sobriety.

Missed the Bus, but Found a Ride

At approximately 2:45 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 21, IVFP officers patrolling the 6500 block of Trigo Road heard the sound of someone banging on a vehicle.

As the officers approached, they saw a 20-year-old male walking eastbound, leaving the area where the officers heard the banging sound. The officers observed the suspect pick up a potted plant from outside a Trigo Road residence and throw it in the middle of the roadway.

When officers approached the suspect, he suddenly turned to go into a nearby apartment complex. When the officers contacted the suspect, he told them he hit the vehicles and threw the plant because he was upset at a bus driver for not giving him a ride home.

During a routine search, the officers found less than one ounce of marijuana in the suspect’s front left pocket.

The suspect was arrested for public intoxication and possession of marijuana and transported to the Santa Barbara County Jail, where he was housed, pending sobriety.

Eight Shots + Low Tolerance = Memory Lapse

At approximately 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 20, IVFP officers patrolling the 6600 block of Del Playa Drive observed a male subject attempting to hold up an 18-year-old female as they walked eastbound.

The officers contacted the suspect and the male subject. The male subject told the officers the suspect was his friend’s ex-girlfriend and he was walking her home. The male subject also told the officers the suspect drank eight shots of vodka that evening and she “doesn’t handle alcohol well.”

The officers determined the suspect was unable to care for herself. Upon arresting the suspect, the male subject wrote his phone number on a piece of paper and asked the officers to give the number to the suspect because she was so intoxicated she probably would not remember why she was arrested.

The suspect was arrested for public intoxication and transported to the Santa Barbara County Jail, where she was housed, pending sobriety.

– Compiled by Jennifer B. Siverts from the Isla Vista Foot Patrol Reports