Santa Barbara County Health Officer Henning Ansorg issued a “Stay Well at Home Order” on Sunday, amidst reports within the county of noncompliance with Governor Gavin Newsom’s March 19 stay-at-home order.

The new order limits restaurants, coffee shops, bars and nightclubs to take-out and delivery orders, requires all food be served in containers and mandates that all employees wear facial coverings at work. Max Abrams / Daily Nexus

The county order, which went into effect on Sunday at 5 p.m. and will last at least until May 4, clarifies restrictions enacted in the statewide stay-at-home-order. The order requires additional compliance with restaurant safety rules, calling for the closure of nonessential businesses, including bars and nightclubs that do not serve food, cosmetic salons, recreational facilities and campgrounds.

The new order limits restaurants, coffee shops, bars and nightclubs to take-out and delivery orders, requires all food be served in containers and mandates that all employees wear facial coverings at work. 

According to the county order, employees may not work if they show symptoms of the coronavirus and must be free of symptoms for at least seven days after symptoms have shown and 72 hours since taking medication. Customers must consume food off the restaurant’s property and practice six feet of social distancing while inside food facilities, Ansorg added in the order.

The county order implores residents to comply with stay-at-home policies due to a “lack of healthcare infrastructure” — such as medical staff, hospital beds and ventilators in Santa Barbara County and the United States —  and a need to “flatten the curve” of infection. 

Businesses who fail to comply with the county order may be subject to fines, owner’s imprisonment or both. 

Santa Barbara County officials have noted at least 64 calls of noncompliance with the statewide executive order as of March 30.

Updated coronavirus case numbers can be viewed here