With the new decade just kicking off, Starbucks has already added two new drinks to their menu: the Coconutmilk Latte and the Almondmilk Honey Flat White. These plant-based milk alternative drinks were added as “part of their new winter food and beverage lineup.” Each option gives vegans and lactose-intolerants more options to choose from. Since the weather is starting to turn chilly, I decided to try out these hot new drinks to see how good they taste!

Photo courtesy of Needpix.com

Coconutmilk Latte

Compared to a regular latte, the Coconutmilk Latte contains a subtle, yet distinct coconut taste, giving it a unique flavor. In my opinion, Starbucks’ regular latte has a smoother taste while the Coconutmilk Latte has a sharper taste due to the sweeter milk alternative. In an article titled, “Starbucks introduces first new beverages of 2020” from Starbucks Stories & News, product developer Raegan Powell explains that cascara sugar was added to the top of the drink to “add a bit of sweetness without overpowering the beverage.” The drink was, indeed, less bitter than a regular latte, but the overall taste still had a slight bitterness. Despite this, the drink was enjoyable.

Tip: Plan on ordering the beverage hot because the ice will water down the taste a lot. 

Almondmilk Honey Flat White

While the Coconutmilk Latte was on the bitter side of the spectrum, the Almondmilk Honey Flat White was on the sweeter side. The honey was the attention-catcher while the almond milk taste was subtle. However, the slight nutty flavor perfectly complemented the honey. While the beverage is sweeter than the Coconutmilk Latte, I felt it was the perfect sweetness as it did not overpower the beverage. 

My personal favorite of Starbucks’ new dairy-free menu additions was the Almondmilk Honey Flat White, since I enjoy sweet drinks more than bitter ones. I believe that both drinks will be a big hit, especially since they are made with milk alternatives that many people enjoy. Stop by your nearest Starbucks to try these drinks out, and maybe one of them will be your next favorite drink!