When the weather becomes chilly in the fall, getting out of bed becomes one of the most difficult things in the morning. Luckily, coffee has come to save the day. Pumpkin spice can become repetitive when everything in the cafes, grocery stores and bakeries all smell and taste a blend of sweet pumpkin and earthy cinnamon. So if you want to take a break from the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte, check out these recipes and tips to discover the other delicious spices that you can incorporate your coffee!

Photo Courtesy of pixabay.com

Cinnamon Maple Latte (adapted from portandfin.com)

Ingredients:

1 cup coffee

¾ cup milk

1 tbsp maple syrup

¼ tsp cinnamon, plus more for garnish

Directions:

1. Pour the milk into a mason jar, tighten the lid and shake for 10 seconds until the milk starts to foam at the top.
  2. Microwave the mason jar without the lid for about 45 seconds until the milk is hot to the touch and foamy. 
  3. Pour hot coffee into a mug and stir in maple syrup and cinnamon. Top with milk, spooning the foam onto the top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.

Caramel Chocolate Hazelnut Latte

Ingredients:

1 cup coffee

1 tbsp hazelnut syrup

½ tbsp chocolate syrup

½ tbsp caramel, plus more for garnish

¾ cup half-and-half

Directions: 

1. Pour the half-and-half into a mason jar, tighten the lid and shake for 10 seconds until the milk starts to foam at the top.
  3. Drizzle caramel across the inside of the mug. Pour hot coffee into a mug and stir in the chocolate syrup and hazelnut syrup. Stir in the half-and-half and serve.

Vanilla Spice Latte

Ingredients:

1 cup hot coffee

1 cup milk

Vanilla syrup, to taste

Nutmeg, to taste

Cinnamon, to taste

Directions:

3. Mix the vanilla syrup with warm milk and pour the mixture into a French press to froth it.
  4. Pour or spoon milk and foam into your coffee.
  5. Garnish with ground nutmeg and cinnamon and serve.

If these recipes or ingredients are not easily accessible to you, worry not. Some simpler ways you can give your coffee an autumnal twist is by swapping out sugar and syrups with maple syrup or mixing in Nutella that has been thinned out with warm milk. These tips will definitely warm you up and give you that much-needed caffeine kick, so try them out if you want to sip on something other than a Pumpkin Spice Latte this fall.

Winnie Lam
Winnie Lam serves as the 2020-2021 On The Menu Editor. She has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joe's and she loves all things matcha.