The Isla Vista Community Room will remain closed for the immediate future following an air conditioner leak, according to Skip Grey, assistant director of Santa Barbara County’s general services. 

The room, pictured during an I.V. CSD meeting in May. Leonard Paulasa / Daily Nexus

Grey said the county is still assessing the problem and that any water damage caused by the leaking air conditioner will have to be fixed. 

The Isla Vista Community Services District (I.V. CSD), which uses the room every other Tuesday to hold its meetings, first posted on Facebook about the damage last week. The district said that the room will be closed for at least two weeks; Grey said it is unknown at this time how long it will take to fix any damage. 

“The water damage is pretty serious so there’s always the prospect that the repairs take longer,” Spencer Brandt, board president of the I.V. CSD, said. 

The room, which is owned by Santa Barbara County, is utilized by a number of groups, including the Isla Vista Youth Projects. Brandt said the district’s staff members are working to find alternative spaces for groups that had previously reserved the room to use. 

Evelyn Spence
Evelyn Spence harbors a great love for em dashes and runs on nothing but iced coffee, Jolly Ranchers and breaking news. She serves as the managing editor and can be reached at evelyn@dailynexus.com, managing@dailynexus.com or at @evelynrosesc on Twitter.