This week at Trader Joe’s I decided to try the marinated Pollo Asado, which translates to “flame-roasted chicken.” In the package, you get several pieces of thinly sliced chicken breast with an authentic Mexican blend of seasoning. The meat is meant for easy grilling, so I decided to make street tacos with it. I also bought some corn tortillas, a red onion, cilantro, mini avocados, a lemon and a Mexican blend of shredded cheese.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

The tacos were super easy to make, as all you have to do is cook each piece of chicken on medium high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side and your entire kitchen will be filled with the savory aroma of chicken tacos. I had about four slices of chicken in my package, so I decided to save two pieces for the next day. I let the rest of my slices of cooked chicken cool down on a cutting board and then cut them into small, bite-sized pieces.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Then I minced half of the red onion and cilantro to pair with the chicken meat. I sliced the lemon for fresh lemon juice to squeeze on the top of the tacos and I thinly sliced the avocado as well to add some more texture to the tacos. I warmed up the corn tortillas on low heat and assembled my tacos with the meat, vegetables and avocado before topping it off with some cheese.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

This dinner was delicious, and it was plentiful enough to satisfy myself and two of my housemates, not to mention I only used half of the meat in the package. The meat was well-seasoned and flavorful, but since I cooked the meat on a pan instead of a grill, it didn’t have that smokey flavor that street tacos usually have.

I’d definitely recommend trying out this meal for lunch or dinner because the only real cooking you have to do is with the chicken. You don’t even have to season it because Trader Joe’s has already done all the work for you! After this experience, I’m interested in trying out the different varieties of marinated meats that Trader Joe’s offers, like the Korean-inspired Bool Kogi and the Flat Iron Beef Chuck Steak.

Winnie Lam
Winnie Lam serves as the 2020-2021 On The Menu Editor. She has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joe's and she loves all things matcha.