Sierra Deak / Daily Nexus

Groovy Music with Cydeways!

You definitely don’t want to miss out on some live music this weekend. Cydeways will be playing in the backyard of 6682 Pasado Rd. this Friday at 9 p.m. with special guests Irie Essence who are coming down from Bakersfield. Irie Essence will open the show, while Cydeways comes on from 10:15 p.m. until the noise ordinance kicks in at midnight.

Brunch with James

This Saturday, the Merton House will be hosting an interfaith brunch with James Ferguson, a professor of anthropology at Stanford University and Endowed Chair. He has written “Give a Man a Fish” and “The Anti-Politics Machine,” and he is an expert in African culture and politics. There will be live music and free food. The Merton House is located at 777 Camino Pescadero, and the event will run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Culture Behind the Lunar New Year

With the Lunar New Year tomorrow, take some time this weekend to learn about Chinese, Mongolian, Tibetan and Korean celebrations of the Lunar New Year. This is also an opportunity to learn about the importance of different types of tea in East Asian cultures with Daanish, the Food Co-op’s Tea & Spice Curator. There will be a tasting of pu’erh, wuyi oolong and Keemun Hao ya tea paired with fruit and nuts. The event will take place on Sunday from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Food Co-op.

Meatless Sunday

A local group called Food Not Bombs will serve free vegan food at 5 p.m. Sunday in Little Acorn Park (next to Bagel Cafe). Food Not Bombs is a large organization that spans the country and is a form of “franchise activism.” They believe that corporate and government priorities are skewed and allow hunger despite the abundance of food and food waste. Those interested in cooking can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com. The dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

Chill with Mindfulness and Meditation

For those interested in mindfulness and meditation, St. Michael’s Church will be hosting a Mindfulness and Compassion Meditation this Monday at 7 p.m. This event is regularly held on Mondays and includes a short dharma talk and guided meditation. St. Michael’s Church is located at 6586 Picasso Rd.

Protect Yourself with a Self-Defense Class!

The Associated Students Commission on Student Wellbeing is hosting a self-defense class on Tuesday, Feb. 13, at 5 p.m. Participants will learn proper striking and kicking skills and will have the chance to feel the burn with strength and circuit training. The class will be taught by Santa Barbara Krav Maga, and participants can cool down afterwards with free Blenders smoothies.

Shopping on a Budget

As students, we’re all a little tight on cash, so head over to the I.V. Food Co-op on Tuesday at 5 p.m. to learn more about shopping on a budget. You can learn various tips and tricks, including building a pantry and shopping based off of promotions and access-based pricing programs. There will be demos based on recipes from the cookbook “Good & Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day,” which will be raffled off at the event.

An edition of this article appeared on pg. 3 of the Feb. 15 issue of the Daily Nexus.