Need-to-Knows for When the Beaches Close
With Deltopia a day away, students should be aware of laws and regulations that will keep them safe and out of jail during the Isla Vista party weekend.
Know the Law
- Noise Ordinance: An ordinance will be in place all weekend from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- This includes any loud noise, music or other sound which can be heard within 10 feet of your property.
- Open Alcohol Container: It is illegal for a container of alcohol to have a broken seal or be open in a public place.
- Includes places where alcohol is prohibited such as streets, beaches or parks.
- Public Urination: Urinating or defecating in a public place is illegal and will be penalized with fines and will require taking an alcohol and drug class through the university.
- Drunk in Public: It is illegal to be found under the influence of alcohol, drugs or both in any public place and will result in a ticket of at least $416.
- If you are intoxicated to the point at which you could harm yourself or others, you may be ticketed.
Campus and Isla Vista Regulations
- Those under the age of 21 cannot possess or be in the presence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Residents must have their access cards will them at all times and enter through the front lobby doors in order to gain access to the residence halls.
- No guests are allowed in the dorms from Friday at 12:00 p.m. through Sunday at 12:00 p.m. A “guest” includes anyone who is not a resident in university-owned residence halls.
Halloween and Deltopia Law (Outdoor Festival and Music):
- You cannot play loud music to the point at which people can hear it from outside.
- This law is in place from Friday to Sunday evening to the next morning around 7:00 a.m.
Parking: Parking on campus will be restricted from 5 p.m. Friday to 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.
- Cars must be moved off Del Playa Drive by 7:00 a.m. on Saturday.
- Roadblocks will be in effect by 10:00 a.m. on Saturday until 7:00 a.m. on Sunday. These roadblocks will be on Trigo and Sabado Tarde Roads and Del Playa Drive from 7:00 a.m. on Saturday until 12:00 p.m. on Sunday.
- UCSB student permit holders will be able to park in certain campus parking lots beginning 11:00 a.m. on Friday.
The Isla Vista beaches will be closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Temporary fences are installed along:
- El Colegio and Los Carneros Roads
- A portion of Stadium Road
- The center median at the entrances to the San Clemente Villages
- At San Rafael, Manzanita and Santa Catalina residence halls
UCIV: Help with police and community member interactions, provide information about resources during the event and notify residents about laws and ordinances
EVPLA: Hydration stations and portable bathrooms provided
Take Back the Night: Safe spaces available in the Pardall Center for those who feel triggered or harassed during the event
The Pardall Center: Chill Out Space on the first floor of the Pardall Center for an escape from the festivities
Know Your Rights
You do not have to let police into your home UNLESS:
- Police have a warrant
- You have at least five people in your home and the police officer suspects alcohol is being consumed
- It is an emergency situation
- You have the right to say “I do not consent a search” if you are stopped in a car.
- You are legally allowed to remain silent whether the police are questioning you or you are taken to jail.
A version of this story appeared on p. 7 of the Friday, April 1, 2016 edition of the Daily Nexus.
[Correction, April 2: Due to an editing error, a previous version of this article stated that the weekend noise ordinance would be from 12 a.m. to 7 p.m. The weekend noise ordinance will be in place from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. during Deltopia weekend.]