On the morning of Sunday, Oct. 11 at approximately 4:40 a.m., two IVFP deputies responded to reports of a male subject on the 6700 block of Abrego Road running in the street screaming for help. Upon arrival, deputies were flagged down by a nearby witness who stated the male subject, later identified as UCSB student Andres “Andy” Esteban Sanchez, had a deep laceration on his right arm. When deputies first made contact with Esteban Sanchez, he was being held down by three people. One deputy removed the blanket wrapped around Esteban Sanchez’s wound and revealed a cut approximately three-quarter inches in diameter around his arm. The deputy reapplied the blanket and attempted to restrain Esteban Sanchez. Medics arrived, secured Esteban Sanchez and transported him to SB Cottage Hospital.

Esteban Sanchez’s roommate said he had seen the victim earlier in the evening when he rushed into their apartment talking gibberish. One of the reporting officers visited the address, where the subject had punched through a window and cut his arm on the glass.

The deputy contacted SB Cottage Hospital and provided Esteban Sanchez’s personal information. Hospital staff advised Esteban Sanchez was in surgery and may not survive. At approximately 6:51 a.m., SB Cottage Hospital staff reported Esteban Sanchez had died as a result of blood loss. The Goleta Patrol Bureau is currently handling the coroner’s report.

[Correction: A previous version of this article stated Sanchez passed away at approximately 6:58 a.m.; however, the time of his passing was closer to 6:51 a.m. according to IVFP]

*This article will be updated as information becomes available