Keeping Your Body Safe

IV Walking Safety Tips

Go out in a group

“The best way to stay safe is to be with friends,” according to Lieutenant Rob Plastino of the I.V. Foot Patrol. “If possible, have somebody who’s a designated sober person, and that’s not just for driving.” Your friend could sidle up next to some creepy character and you would have no idea because you’re already on your seventh… wait… tenth shot. And we aren’t just talking to females here; anyone is vulnerable in the wild of I.V. Disclaimer: Manage your group size; the larger the posse, the more likely everyones’ ‘freshmen detector’ will go off.

Use the CSOs

CSO escorts are available at odd hours of the night, so there’s no reason to make a lonely trek across campus or I.V. And the I.V. Foot Patrol station has deputy escorts available until 3 a.m. on weekends.
Stay in lit areas
Some areas in I.V. are not that well lit, particularly ones further away from campus or farther from the coastline.While many students know DP is arguably already the best-lit area, Plastino said it is currently being retrofitted with new LED lighting “that will really brighten up the street.”

Don’t Hesitate to call 911 in an emergency

Don’t put your concerns about getting busted in the way of others’ safety.

Don’t Walk around in public with an open container of alcohol

Most people know better than to walk down DP holding a red cup half-filled with beer, but this citation is one of the most common, if not the most. Carrying around a previously opened container of liquor will result in an open container violation that includes over $100 in fines. And doing this when you’re not yet 21 carries a much heftier penalty, including “a mandatory court appearance, as well as a mandatory suspension of your driver’s license for a year, up to $675 in fines, or proof of completion of the Youth Offender Program,”according to the IVFP site.

Don’t sit on the curb

Just don’t do it.

Safe DrinkingTips

Don’t Drink too quickly

Drinking quickly can cause your blood alcohol level to spike sharply and potentially lead to alcohol poisoning, so pace yourself.

Know your limits when drinking

Jason Vego, a campus liaison for the Alcohol and Drug Program, recommends starting slow if you’re new to drinking. With many students drinking out of those ubiquitous red cups, some party-goers fail to consider the true volume of alcohol entering their bodies, Vego said. It’s also important to take note of the difference in alcohol content of hard liquor versus alcoholic beverages like beer and wine.

Eat before drinking

The human body naturally wants to eat every three to four hours, so you’ll want to put some food in your stomach before going out, Vego said. Satisfying those alcohol-induced munchies by eating after (or during) drinking is not proven to help lower blood alcohol concentration, although it can lessen the intensity of a hangover.

Drink plenty of water

Drink water between drinks, as well as before and after drinking. Dehydration is the leading cause of hangovers, and that’s that shit no one likes.

Cracking the Books

Go to office hours

Within their first quarter, most new students find themselves crammed in massive lecture halls, amongst a sea of hundreds of other students. Attending office hours and building relationships with professors can bring valuable opportunities like performing research or receiving much-coveted recommendation letters further down the road. “You don’t need to have anything profound to say when you talk to your professor. Just introducing yourself and saying hello will get it started,” according to Dr. Dorothy Mullin, communication professor.

Use campus resources

The piles of ‘free’ activities, food and services are never-ending at UCSB, and in some way or another, they’re always needed. CLAS tutoring can help with academic struggles, while Counseling and Psychological Services, Career Services and the Health and Wellness can help with other areas of life. Even Associated Students and the Office of Student Life sometimes hold fun and helpful events, while offering other services. There’s also a Gaucho Skills page on Tumblr that includes 500 study tips from experts at UCSB.

Prioritize your work

Making fancy Snapchats or beating your friends at beer pong might seem like a pressing concern at the time, but procrastination bears an ugly head come Midterms or Finals Week. “There’s no such thing as catching up on the quarter system. You’re either half a step ahead, or blowing it,” Paul Rivas, academic skills coordinator for CLAS, said.

Don’t skip classes

Some professors seem to, or actually do, just read out of the book. Why get out of bed when you can learn everything at home? Because you’re paying for the lecture, and chances are, the classes you skip will miraculously include specific material that will be on the test.

Don’t View classes as worthless

We all need to get those General Education Requirements out of the way, so we end up taking classes seemingly irrelevant to our major or interests. But the fact is that diverse knowledge is the key to a well-rounded education, and a positive attitude can turn a ‘worthless’ class into a passion or even change of major.

Join a campus club or activity

Whether you like exercise, activism, religious worship or even journalism, don’t be afraid to take advantage of what UCSB has to offer. There are groups for all interests, cultures, sexual orientations political causes, and if there isn’t one that suits you, then start one!Gladys Koscak, mental health specialist at Counseling and Psychological Services, said extracurricular activities are vital in maintaining a stress-free lifestyle. Likewise, Vice Chancellor Michael Young said he encourages students to explore their usual interests, but also “take some risks.”

Take advantage of the beach

The only school nationwide with its own private beach, UCSB is just minutes away from the shore. Start the morning off right with a relaxing jog, or try out surfing. With our high-ranking surf team, we’ve been recognized by Surf Magazine and other outlets as a top competitor in the sport.

Explore the Santa Barbara area, get away from campus
Check out the Santa Barbara Zoo, go shopping or out to dinner on State Street, hike the Santa Ynez mountains or organize a group to go bowling. With the bus system free for all students, there is no reason to be stuck!
Maintain healthy relationships
A solid support network of people you trust is essential in keeping stress at a minimum, Koscak said, noting that such bonds can alleviate stress and loneliness.

Remember to take care of yourself

Try to incorporate stress-relieving strategies into your routine as early as possible. As Koscak explained, stress is not necessary to the student experience, “It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that college students have to be stressed to be considered legitimate students,” Koscak said. “The truth is that the sooner you can find ways to cope in healthy ways, the better time you will have in college.”

Beyond I.V.

– Swim, surf and just soak up some sun at Goleta Beach, Sands, or Campus Point
– Take an adventurous hike through Lizard’s Mouth, Inspiration Point, or the Santa Ynez Mountains
– Go cliff diving at Red Rock and plunge into its gnarly swimming hole
– Hit up State Street for high-end shopping and dining (the 24X bus goes straight there from the dorms)
– Check out the West Wind Santa Barbara Drive-In Theater
– Get in some late night ‘glowbowling’ at Zodo’s Bowling and Beyond
– Check out live music at the Santa Barbara Bowl, Velvet Jones or SoHo downtown