Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

News

UCSB Adds New Eco-Friendly Accessway to Campus Bluffs

The Cheadle Center for Biodiversity and Ecological Restoration and A.S. Coastal Fund will hold a ribbon cutting ceremony on May 17 to mark the new Campus Point stairway’s recent completion.

The staircase, designed by Van Atta Associates and erected by Tomar Construction, aims to reduce the impact of human disturbances on bluff erosion and provide an alternative beach access point for pedestrians. The design features three viewing platforms made from recycled plastic lumber, pressure-treated beams and other sustainable materials.

The Coastal Commission and Campus Lagoon Management Plan approved the Cheadle Center’s proposal last year. The organization received $90,000 from A.S. Coastal Fund and State Coastal Conservancy grants to fund the project.

According to the A.S. Coastal Fund website, the group has operated as a “student initiative dedicated to conservation of the UCSB coastline” since 1999. The Cheadle Center supports conservation efforts, environmental research and community education programs.

Note:

In an effort to combat spam, comments that include links must be manually approved. Comments will generally be approved in under an hour depending on the time that they are submitted.

Please do not submit correction requests in the comments section as comments are not reviewed regularly. Correction requests submitted this way therefore may not be noticed for weeks at a time. Please submit all correction requests to eic@dailynexus.com or to the editor of the section in which the story in question appears.