Opinion

Arizona Immigration Law is Racist and Wrong

It is difficult to describe the sensation I felt when Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signed SB1070 last Friday. I felt an emotional maelstrom of disgust, despair and utter cynicism over Gov. Brewer’s decision to implement the most draconian and most starkly racist immigration law in the last 50 years.

[media-credit id=20117 align="alignleft" width="114"]arizona[/media-credit]SB1070, appropriately dubbed the “Papers, Please” bill by its detractors, forces all law enforcement agencies in Arizona to ask for proof of legal residency or citizenship if an officer feels “reasonable suspicion” that a person is an illegal immigrant. In addition, SB1070 makes it illegal to “give shelter to illegal immigrants” whether knowingly or by “recklessly” disregarding a person’s immigration status. In short, SB1070 is designed to make life utterly unbearable for Arizona’s poorest population, and will certainly result in countless lawsuits, continued poverty and life-long ostracization for Arizona’s Latino population. The most nauseating aspect of this new “law” lies not in the actual substance of the bill, but rather in Gov. Brewer’s cynical courting of the angry white voter in order to win re-election in 2010.

Apologists for the bill, including Rep. Brian Bilbray (R-CA), bizarrely state that a person’s immigration status can be determined “right down to the clothes.” Considering that the bill’s sponsor, state Sen. Russell Pearce, is previously best known for forwarding e-mails from the National Alliance, a white supremacist group, and has appeared at public events with numerous white supremacists, it seems fair to say that Sen. Pearce might have more than a touch of bigotry to him. More importantly, Sen. Pearce previously played with racial politics by sponsoring legislation designed to stop “voting fraud” and “welfare fraud” by illegal immigrants, despite being opposed by the Arizona Republican Party and arch-conservative Sen. Jon Kyl. Considering the background of SB1070’s main sponsor (friendly with white supremacists), and the specific ethnicity of SB1070’s intended victims (overwhelmingly Latino), SB1070 is an obvious attempt to focus Arizona voters’ attention away from the Governor’s and Legislator’s incompetence. Instead, Brewer and Pearce are focusing on the old racial canards common in tight political races; by reflecting themselves as champions of white people, Brewer will be able to ride the anxious white vote through the next election.

Playing racial politics rather than promoting good policy is an American tradition as old as the country itself, and Brewer’s short-sighted signature is merely a continuation of it. Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush all won presidential elections by consciously becoming the “white man’s candidate,” while the Gingrich house used wholly fabricated depictions of black welfare recipients to cut social safety nets, overwhelmingly benefiting white Americans. Today, Gov. Brewer is trying to pit white voters against Latino voters in a cynical attempt to distract them from her frankly awful budget plan. Brewer’s plan would almost certainly fail to prop up Arizona’s state budget, despite cutting all juvenile corrections, child health care and state park services and imposing a hefty tax hike. In short, Arizona voters are being played like a cheap fiddle.

America is changing, plain and simple. Whether Gov. Brewer or her supporters choose to accept this inconvenient fact is entirely irrelevant; “their America” (where casual racism is normal and where white people hold all political and economic power) is rapidly vanishing, and nothing Brewer or anyone else can do will change this situation. In 20 years, Arizona will be more than 50 percent Hispanic, and a substantial portion will grow up in utter poverty thanks to Gov. Brewer’s wicked law. Considering the sheer insanity apparently emanating from the Tuscon State House, I can only hope two things: I can only hope that such obviously racist laws spur the federal government to finally take on comprehensive immigration reform and allow the millions of immigrants across the country to come out of the shadows. I also hope that when Gov. Brewer is standing at the pearly gates, telling St. Peter why she allowed hundreds of thousands of people to be ostracized, malnourished, harassed and impoverished, she comes up with a better explanation than “I had an election to win.”

79 Responses to Arizona Immigration Law is Racist and Wrong

1. Carlos Ramirez Reply

September 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I would like to send the messege straight out Jan brewer who is racist Joe arpaio is racist they have the deadliest cancer is hate in their heart he is a hater all or almost all of californians hate him he is causing conflicts and fucking the economy ihn Arizona Wake Up Arizona repub;licans put his guy in jail even joe berry said he is an ass hole and even George Lopez said Joe is a hater

2. george wells Reply

August 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

When the R word is used, you can bet its just an attack against white people for being white and wanting to remain white. Is that not so?

The big taboo is that whites are not able to talk about what is good for whites.

And the strawman used to suppress discussion is slurring whites with labels, such as, KKK, white supremacists, nazi-who-want-t- kill-six-million-jews. Tell me this is not so.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.

• Carlos Ramirez Reply

September 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

It is not an attack it is the reality cabron your skin color has to do with it why when a black guy walks in a store he is always being watched but thats ok for a white thief to enter a store right he is white he is pure he will be treated differently like the G.W the commedian said blame it on the mexicans they are the next slaves beside the blacks, face reality and donot be ignorant their is and until you and all the racist people understand this is a country for everyone specialy my nbeighbor people who come and heklp the economy not like that miserable rat that is jeopordizing Arizonas economy into the

3. Walter Reply

August 12, 2012 at 9:20 am

Every White country, community, and institution on the planet is forced to become multicultural and multiracial. EVERY white country, community, and institution is told to end its own race and culture. No one asks that of ANY non-White country, community, or institution. Immigration and integration is forced upon EVERY White country, community, and institution and ONLY White countries, communities, and institutions. Anti-whites call themselves “anti-racists”, but their actions lead to the elimination of one race and only one race, my race, the White race. The true goal of anti-racism is to wipe out my race. It is genocide.

4. Carlos Ramirez Reply

June 26, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Becky you just spoke the truth God Bless you it is a racist law breaking apart the u.s. constitution even tough we fought and will fight for this country and defend the white boys they spit in our face they have forgotten ther ancestors also immigrated to this country what makes them think this is their country just because they are white that is racism (THE INDIAN WITH ALL RESPECT HE IS THE TRUE AMERICAN) and if you know history Pancho Villa would cut the traitors ears off and if ever ran into the same traitor he would shoot him, After his death Arizona Texas and Mexico were taken over by the united states so, To end it short (GRINGOS HAVE A LITTLE RESPECT FOR US )

5. I liked as much as you’ll obtain carried out right here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you want be delivering the following. unwell indisputably come further previously again as precisely the same nearly a lot ceaselessly within case you shield this hike.

6. USA Immigration Support Reply

December 21, 2011 at 8:21 am

I like the helpful information you supply for your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and test once more right here frequently. I am moderately sure I’ll be informed lots of new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the next!

7. khalil Reid Reply

November 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm

AMERICA IS NOT A HOUSE OR A BUSINESS AND IT IS NOT LIKE YO’RE BOTHERING SOMEONE. SO STEALING A LOAF OF BREAD IS DIFFERENT. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BEG FOR MONEY OR BEG FOR THE BREAD YOU ARE COMPARING THINGS BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL, SO THERE IS A GREY AREA

8. סטנד אפ לצפייה ישירה Reply

July 3, 2011 at 12:41 am

They are vey racist there

9. Ray Nash Reply

June 21, 2011 at 7:47 am

Hey, nice post

10. Jocuri faine Reply

March 5, 2011 at 6:25 am

Hi, just did some online surfing and found this weblog. It is absolutely magnificent!

11. joe Reply

February 16, 2011 at 8:04 am

I can’t believe anyone would be against SB1070. If just for the very fact of homeland security. I have no problem with someone who LEGALLY comes here but they are still required to have a background investigation, I have to have a background investigation to work at my job and I am a natural born citizen. Any federal government offical or gov’t elected offical needs to have an investigation ran on them if they favor the law suite against AZ, I think they may have some scum cartel backing them.

• juan ramos Reply

June 26, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Well my friend keep on in dream land how could you not believe if Arizona is full anazis KUKUSCLANS if you don’t look white your a target step out of your ignorance the hispanic community we know whats up its just a matter of time before the biggest law suit is put on those dirty politicians

12. Total nick face Reply

January 20, 2011 at 10:45 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii””””””””””””””””””””””mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssppppppppppppppppppppppppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

13. Steven_M_F Reply

January 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm

There truly is no more love and compassion for less fortunate people. Its sad…….A nation that has been brain washed with the obsession of money and luxury…It blinds what it truly means to be a human being……I for one see this nation going to burn in hell if we start dehumanizing people who are less fortunate.
    Not only is Arizona anti-Christian but racist……
    God would not discriminate…….only Arizonans version of God…..

• kevin Reply

February 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

look here you hippie, I am from Tucson AZ and you have no idea how bad it truly is and how important it is to keep illegals out and have them do it legally… its because of liberal hippies like you that have made our economy go down the toilet by supporting the illegals and their ancor babies in the US.

• Ann Reply

July 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

) The reality is that our immigration system makes it virtually impossible for the typical Mexican to enter the U.S. legally in his or her lifetime. They come for the same reasons most immigrants come the U.S., for a better way of life. (Germano R, 2011) A 30-year old Mexican with a high school education and a sibling who is a U.S. citizen. According to data compiled by Forbes magazine, “playing by the rules” and applying for a green card means waiting in a line that stretches back an estimated 131 years!!! This is if he has someone in the U.S. legally that can petition for a Visa on his behalf. Current rules limit any single country to 7 percent of the total number of green cards allotted by Congress in any given year this includes Mexico. This means about 30,000 family-based green cards in 2010 go to Mexico each year. Mexican and Dominican nationals each get the same number of family-based green cards however Mexico population is 13 time that of the Dominican Republic’s and 7 times as many Mexicans in the U.S. who are able to petition for visas on behalf of relatives back home. This could be brothers, sisters, husbands, wives or children.

• Carlos Ramirez Reply

June 26, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Listen you trailer trash when my illegals amigos youll starve because you dont have the testicles to work as hard as us arriba casablancariverside ca cabrones

• Carlos Ramirez Reply

July 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm

your own people is making the economy go down but your ignorance prevails kevin your pride and vaniglory blinds you your sad i bet your like arnold that stupid Forener tyran yet he betrayed his wife for a hispanic maid he is a sorry s..o.b

14. tina Reply

December 31, 2010 at 10:51 am

we all imagraded here excapt for the Indians, So what does God want

• Nik Reply

January 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm

He wants us to figure it out for ourselves. What hubris to assume you know what God wants. Please enlighten me if you know what his master plan is. Perhaps this is part of it. Does he perhaps want us to treat each other as equals?

15. khalil Reply

December 29, 2010 at 2:19 pm

illegal immigration is not the same as stealing or breaking into a place even if you didn’t pay for food you are not ppaying to get into a country. if you don’t come to this country illegally youu starve to death

• Nik Reply

December 30, 2010 at 12:08 pm

You’re right. Illegal immigration is not equal to stealing or B&E, except in one way. Immigrating illegally, stealing and B&E are all against the law. There is no gray area. If you are starving and you steal a loaf of bread, most people would not consider you a bad person, but you are still subject to the law. The benefit out weighs the consequence, but you still must pay the piper.

I hold no prejudice against illegal immigrants, I only believe they should be subject to the laws we have created as a society. If emotional (and political grandstanding) discourse is eliminated, SB 1070 would not be worth discussing.

16. jr Reply

December 6, 2010 at 9:33 pm

We need help wit the law, so many are being hurt an nothing is being done about, we have lawer but some help but most of the time we are fk, so who do u tune two.Around the world there are sick cops on our streets killing,robbing,beaning,an so much more.I know a guy was shot six time by a cop an yes he was unarm all most kill him, he’s a shell of his forming shelf,but the cop got away wit it, by the law he was black.But this is for all that been an know someone who have been through it. We all need two wake up, an come two getter an fight back we can do it.Star by tell someone an keep it going two the next,so we all can get invole.Wakeup!

17. Bill McKay Reply

October 29, 2010 at 9:04 am

It’s tripe like this that foment racial division, not the law. The only thing SB1070 asserts is the rule of law and Constitutional principle. A nation which does not defend it’s own borders is no longer a nation.

” I can only hope that such obviously racist laws spur the federal government to finally take on comprehensive immigration reform and allow the millions of immigrants across the country to come out of the shadows”…..you for got one pronoun…it’s ILLEGAL immigrats.
    No amount of redirection can erase that.

• sbalum Reply

November 30, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Bill McKay- you are ignorant.
      1. Forgot is one word
      2. Illegal is an adjective, not a pronoun
      3. I’m guessing, or at least hoping, that you are not representing the students of Santa Barbara, because that would just be shame for alumni like myself

18. Another Anonymous1 Reply

October 19, 2010 at 10:10 am

I believe that you can argue both sides and have very strong points. But in the end someone legal will be accused of being undocumented because of their appearance. And with that more drama will unfold. Besides, some undocumented people have children who are citizens..So res no point.

• Juan Delfino Ramos Reply

June 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Of course we are highly intelligent to not realize that these gringos look at every way thet can to do us harm and discriminate us but we have pride in our culture and regardless we will prevail united we stand.

19. Shaunna Aste Reply

October 6, 2010 at 6:25 pm

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it’ll do even better in those areas, but for now it’s a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod’s strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

20. daniel munoz Reply

September 10, 2010 at 9:42 am

I understand that being here illegally is wrong… So what about the people who are legal. Is it fair that they have been in this country longer than some white or black citizen and have to show proof of there legalization status just because they are hispanic or simply because some cop thinks he looks like an illegal immigarnt.I think not. illegal immigrants should be deported and they should try to become legal the right way but the laws used to control the immigration rate should be constitutional.

• Juan Delfino Ramos Reply

June 26, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Daniel Munoz Bro you know that is just a way of them the racist trying to hide that they really hate all of us, all they want is our services they live off us yet they hate us. If mexican Government was not corrupt i bet even gringos would go over their illegally but ourb government is no bueno our only hope is these state that once belonged to mexico. VIVA LA RAZA CABRONES

21. Modesta Darting Reply

September 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Took me time to learn all the comments, however I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very useful to me and I am sure to all of the commenters here! It’s all the time nice when you cannot only be told, but in addition entertained! I’m positive you had fun writing this article.

22. mz erika Reply

August 29, 2010 at 6:47 pm

everybody is decendent of immigrants and it doesnt give none of you the right to discriminate against the illegal immigrants come to america for a better life… The discrimination that all of you are giving to the illegal immigrants is the same discrimination that your ancestors received when they came to america….

• marii_v Reply

October 19, 2010 at 10:00 am

my thoughts exactly, i %100 agree with you.

• WoW Reply

December 5, 2010 at 5:47 pm

All I can say is WOW. Sounds like an illegal immigrant to me. Immigrant and ILLEGAL Immigrant are two different entities and as such you should be aware of the difference. If you want it in a way you might understand it is like this, it is legal to buy your food but ILLEGAL to take without paying. If you allow Illegal Immigrants in without following the laws and rules then you have no regard for someone coming into your house and taking everything you worked hard for just because they want it! There is no discrimination in this law only re-enforcement of laws that are already in place.

23. Lanie Steines Reply

August 24, 2010 at 7:46 am

I think its really unconstitutional to discriminate against illegal immigrants because they should be able to have the same rights as everyone else!

24. Peter Griffith Reply

July 28, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Why is protecting our country from illegal immigrants racist? Why do you automatically assume that this is targeting the hispanic population. That is so ridiculous. Mexicans are not the only people ever cross our borders. Arizona just happens to have a corridor of illegal Mexican immigrants. Entering the U.S. illegally is a crime. Our economy is F*cked up enough without having to use tax money to support illegal immigrants. If you want to live here, apply an enter legally. It has nothing to do with your race. Come here illegally, pay the price. Simply as that.

• Tall Texan Reply

August 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Peter, the arguments FOR SB1070 are POLITICAL, not logical. As was stated earlier, “Immigration and integration is forced upon EVERY White country, community, and institution and ONLY White countries, communities, and institutions.” Does Mexico allow illegal immigrants, and take care of them with government money? I am sure they do not. No non-White country does. Ross does not address the obvious: that allowing people to come to the US illegally brings in many criminals and terrorists. Ross uses emotional language, but not good logic. Ross will demonize supporters of the bill, but those who oppose the bill, like LA RAZA are openly Anti-White, and pro-Latino. Some of us desire a White homeland, and yet have absolutely no hate for other races. I certainly do not hate Japan or Israel for keeping their nations for their own race. Anti-whites call themselves “anti-racists”, but their actions lead to the elimination of one race and only one race, my race, the White race. The true goal of anti-racism is to wipe out my race. It is genocide.

25. Dustin Reply

July 26, 2010 at 11:17 am

I think both sides are wrong we should just shoot them and say fuck it they inaded my space and there going to pay for it so forget deportation their just going to jump again and i say fuck allowing them to invade just end them permanatly a bullet is cheaper than a bus ride

• kkk=uncle sam:) Reply

September 10, 2010 at 9:46 am

hey dustin…… Fuck You i hope your balls fall off mother fucker. i hope ur mother grows a dick on her forehead and that your father shits a dog.

• marii_v Reply

October 19, 2010 at 10:02 am

^_^

• Carlos Ramirez Reply

June 26, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Dustin you are talking out of your ass if you see a hispanic who is determined you might piss inyour pants its not as easy as you lay it out vato aggara la onda pendejo viva Paul Rodriguez James olmos Mi raza cabron

• Carlos Ramirez Reply

July 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm

You think its that easy Dustin i can write all night and say and say just doit life is short do it pussy cat hablas nomas a lo pendejo pinche cabron gabacho culero maybe they should start deporting all your family members from england cabron pendejo or from russia or from where ever you are.

• random guy Reply

March 18, 2013 at 11:54 am

You fucking ignorant piece of shit dustin

26. steve Reply

July 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I would love to see all those who risk it all for a chance to enjoy what I was born into – citizen of the greatest country on earth. I do however want to see them become citizens legally. I would never impead someones efforts to better themselves and there families, but all citizens need to do their part (pay taxes, obey the laws, obtain insurance, ect). The problem is instead of looking for solutions those opposed rebel rouse and name call. I reject the simply minded scare tactics the left minded use. Racism is the most over used term in this country and when continuosly thrown in the face of the average everyday, peron it simply losses its sting. News flash this is a human issue, stop throwing out the race card everytime you feel your losing an argument. Come LEGALLY, pay taxes, vote, live the American dream.

27. J J Reply

July 13, 2010 at 12:05 pm

@ Becky
    All Hispanics will be looked at and suspected simply because they are Hispanic.
    I dare anyone to ask a five-year old child what he thinks of this law and he will tell you it is WRONG.

^^^^^
    The comment above what you worte is racist. There all people out there who are illegal immigrants that are not Hispanic. Get your head out your ass. It is a cops duty to ask you for your papers. Have you ever been pulled over? The first thing officers usually say is license and registration. Those are your papers stop thinking like all the other bigots and start being a free thinker. People like you make me sick.

• MTS Reply

September 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

There are things you can look at like…can the driver speak english and if they can’t there is a good chance they are not here legally.

Furthermore, citizenship is required for a drivers license without a drivers so if you get pulled over without a license and can’t speak english what should the officer do?

Furthermore, SB 1070 is intended not to be “racist” but moreover, citizen-ist.

Citizen =a legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized.

Are people upset federal law is enforced by state employed police or that federal law exists?

28. Nick Reply

June 18, 2010 at 10:38 am

This editorial evinces ignorance of the statute. I suggest you read the statute and post a follow up editorial that cites the racist portions of the statute

29. Duffy Reply

June 6, 2010 at 4:15 pm

California has a very similar law to Arizona. Both laws mirror the Federal law. The only difference is that neither the Federal law nor the California law are enforced. That doesn’t make it right. If you don’t agree with a law change it don’t mute it through non-enforcement.

• Carlos Ramirez Reply

July 6, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Ha Ha Ha what you gonna do when the hispaic community of southern california runs wild on you those days are over slavery is over, put your crocodiles in the border line so we can make belts and jackets out of them.

30. TheMookDeesis Reply

June 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm

First I want to say.. preface if I will, When people combine religious reasoning with semi-logical arguments it is freakin hilarious.

Ok, So I agree the police state is some what out of hand and after the patriot act and what not I think we would all be crazy to afford them any more authority over our so called “wellbeing”. That being said, This Law is completely necessary and this is why I think so.

The Law will influence those here illegally to try and pass as American. Of course there will be the stubborn ones, but hey survival of the fittest, let the stubborn be caught and deported. Isn’t this one of the real social sticking points?

The Law is instigating discussion! The current system is broken, it doesn’t work, social services for those who don’t pay taxes is unsustainable. I believe its not just the individuals not paying tax, I have witnessed many “cash only” businesses that fail to charge tax.

Border security is important, If an impoverished group of non English speaking Mexicans can continuously cross our borders, than it is not all that inconceivable that an organized and funded illegal organization could also easily penetrate as-well.

31. Brandon Reply

June 2, 2010 at 7:13 am

Seriously!!!! How can anyone call this racist!! Does anyone know that not just mexican are coming across our borders. Anyone!! Anyone!!! America is a great country but we have become so soft that we can actually justify people breaking a federal law that in any other country you would probably be SHOT for!! People don’t understand that this is a law of the land. This country was founded on strong state government power and ther is nothing that the federal government can do about it. Stop standing up for criminals. Try to sneak across the mexian border and see what kind of punishment you get. Let’s just say they won’t deport you!!

32. Gary M Oak Reply

June 2, 2010 at 2:02 am

My family immigrated to this fine country and we do not get sent to jail because, well shit, we came here legally! Feels good, man.

33. Anonymous Reply

May 29, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Funny how we’re talking about illegal immigration, not legal and EVERYONE in the liberal media is getting butthurt about this. We need to care about our families, not the families of people here who more and more never document themselves. Yeah, call it cold, but for Christ’s sake, I thought we were supposed to focus on our lives, not those of others (hint hint, Liberals, in reference to Iraq)

34. Nik Reply

May 26, 2010 at 11:08 am

@Becky

I hate you, but thanks for reminding me not to take myself so seriously

35. Becky Reply

May 26, 2010 at 9:19 am

Nik says…”Either you’ve successfully trolled me or you’re serious”

Brilliant deduction!
    Shalom.

36. Rebecca Jones Reply

May 26, 2010 at 9:13 am

Isn’t this law basically a copy of existing federal law? Obviously the people of Arizona are alarmed at the rate of illegal immigrants that are spilling over their border with Mexico into the state. So what are they to do? Just sit back while the whole state implodes? It is clear the feds have no intention of honoring their duty to secure the border. So Arizona has to take these measures. It is a sad situation all around.

• Carlos Ramirez Reply

July 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm

well miss ignorancia fatal are you from mars your standing on indian land gabasha wann be

37. Andrew Steiner Reply

May 26, 2010 at 7:35 am

I still haven’t heard a single opponent of S.B. 1070 actually quote from the law in support of their opposition.

38. Nik Reply

May 25, 2010 at 9:51 pm

@Becky
    Either you’ve successfully trolled me or you’re serious. If you’ve trolled me, kudos. If you are serious, I can’t debate this with you anymore. Your thoughts and ramblings are void of logical progression. You are constantly contradicting yourself and your use of English is awful. Good luck spreading the word.

39. Becky Reply

May 25, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Already a young Hispanic man was arrested because he looked “reasonably suspicious”.

This young man’s right to his God given dignity was robbed from him. He was detained while being humiliated for no reason except that a “trained” police officer decided he looked illegal.

It is insane! t is wrong!

Do you know where this law will lead?
    Not to anything good because it strips Hispanics who were made in the image of God to be subjected to indignities and shame and embarrassment.

40. Becky Reply

May 25, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Nik said..”Right and wrong are not black and white.”

Right is right and wrong is wrong is clear as could be. IE: if you steal you do wrong and nothing can make it right, it is wrong. You cannot steal and not do wrong. Some things are wrong and will remain wrong. The opposite of wrong is right even as white is the opposite of black. So yes right and wrong is black and white. Opposites!

All crimes are not deserving of the same punishment but it is still wrong if is crime. If a man steals a loaf of bread from a store and another robs a bank they are both thieves and deserve punishment though not on the same scale.

Laws are made for lawbreakers not for the obedient. If all were obedient and civil we would need no laws.
    A police officer has not the capability within him to determine who is legal or illegal simply by observation. It is impossible.

Being human he IS subject to error. His humanness makes him ineligible to judge anyone based on his eyesight and God knows what type of personality he has.

I can cite cases where mistaken identity even caused murder.

Even though Laws are independent of anyone who tries to enforce them even casual observation of the world around us shows that human nature cannot be trusted. How plain can I make it? Human nature cannot be trusted, must not be trusted, and if it is, than the pit has swallowed the fool who thought he could judge another person with his eyes.

His mind must be stupid if he thinks he could judge with his eyes. God did not make us to judge anyone but to judge only ourselves.

If it was possible for anyone to tell anything about another person simply by looking at them do you really think those women would have gone on a date with Ted Bundy?

Everyone needs to be supervised. Do you think we have checks and balances because people can be trusted? I think not.

This has been my entire point here and BTW..I am not ignorant I live in reality , not in a world where we try to make things perfect it isn’t going to happen.

This nation’s troubles began at Plymouth Rock and it has been escalating since and how we have a corrupt nation that is to the point of no return.

No one owns this nation it is a free country where anyone can live even if he is not a law abiding citizen. Americans themselves break laws, it is wrong, but to judge others who come here is just as wrong.

I am for everyone obeying laws I don’t care who you are. Or think you are!

But man by his very nature is capable of doing bad things.

This is precisely why I am against this law, it targets Hispanics and this is wrong. It is racial profiling and it will bite the dust for the sane reason it will not work and it is making too many people unhappy.

I am not for giving anyone a free pass! I am not for illegal immigration I am for illegals getting legal or going home.

What I am against is the insane notion that a police officer can determine anything about a person simply by his outward appearance”trained” or “not”!

Only God Himself knows who is who and not some erring human being whose history on earth is a history of blood and murder and pride that stinks to heaven.

Don’t try to make me out the bad person here it is the moron who came up with the stupid idea that a police officer can determine “reasonable suspicion”.
    It is absurd!

I read the bill and it is in there about “reasonable suspicion” and do you think it is reasonable to judge another by his outward appearance?
    Jesus Christ our Lord said to never judge by outward appearance.

The crucifixion of Jesus Christ should tell you something, that the human race is completely stupid and blind and wrong when it comes to judging by outward appearance.

I am NOT for illegals or anyone breaking laws, I am against the ludicrous brain dead idea that a police officer can tell by simply looking at a person who LOOKS like a criminal and who doesn’t.

41. Nik Reply

May 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Oh, and I’d also like to say another thing about the actual article. Denouncing the supporters of the bill (Ala Gov. Brewer, et. all) doesn’t actually address the bill. You’re confusing the issue.

Also, Gingrich may have used “…fabricated depictions of black welfare recipients to cut social safety nets…”, but it didn’t overwhelmingly benefit “white people”. “White people” actually comprise almost the same % of welfare recipients as blacks (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/character/FY99/analysis.htm).

Where are the fact checkers? Even if the Nexus isn’t going to edit your opinion piece, at least have the integrity to make sure your article is factually accurate (or at least not drumming up political fervor).

42. Nik Reply

May 25, 2010 at 4:34 pm

@Konijn
    You’re right, the race “issue” is a red herring.

@Becky
    I’d like to respond to your points one at a time.

You were the one that drew the analogy of putting an innocent person to death. I simply tried to point out that it is absurd to put all crimes on the same level. Right and wrong are not black and white.

Just because none of us are perfect doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to create laws to form a functioning society. I would like to know what system you would propose to replace the branches of law and justice? And just because you are imperfect doesn’t mean you don’t know when someone broke the law. All it means is you probably shouldn’t judge them as a person.

Next, if I understand you correctly, we shouldn’t try to create equality because we have had inequality in the past? Or perhaps you’re just skeptical about our ability to create an equal society? Either way it doesn’t have any merit in this discussion. I think you were referencing when I said I would be in favor of giving citizenship to illegal immigrants, but that was a side note. We aren’t really talking about that particular subject. (I would like to continue my side note by saying that giving green cards to illegal immigrants and their families would be a huge boon to the economy since a much smaller % of the money they earn would be spent in the U.S. instead of sent across the boarder).

If you don’t condone breaking the law, why are you in favor of giving illegal immigrants a free pass to avoid the consequences of breaking the law?

As for your simple solution, if you read the bill (which I strongly suggest you do before commenting further), there are stipulations that punish those that hire illegal immigrants by punishment, up to and including, jail time. But as Konijn pointed out, by taking away employment opportunities like that you further reduce their standard of living. Still, the law is the law and let them be punished as well.

Your next statement really spun my head around. For someone who is a champion against racism, you sure do like to show off your prejudice. “…ignorant uneducated Mexicans who do not know (as God said of the citizens of Nineveh millenniums ago) their right hand from their left”. Just wow. You’re right, Mexicans are too ignorant to figure out that they have two arms. I wonder how they figured out how to use a knife and fork? Stupid Mexicans, we shouldn’t even bother to educate those that (legally) immigrate over.

The law targets anyone who is living within the boarders of the United States of America who is not a legal resident and doesn’t have permission from the government to be/work here. The fact that the largest population of this group happen to be Mexican doesn’t make the law racist. It makes Mexicans victims of a shitty world.

I’m not sure I really needed to respond to you as the foolishness of your post shows your ignorance, but it’s cathartic for me.

43. Konijn Reply

May 25, 2010 at 11:59 am

Don’t you think it’s a little ironic that by supporting illegal immigration you are supporting the people who exploit their labor and commit gross violation of their human rights? Does it make sense that anybody is allowed to work in this country without health insurance and without a fair wage? Illegal immigrants often work as modern day slaves in this country. I’m ashamed that this is allowed to go on and that there is a segment of the population that wants this to continue. Let’s be honest, if they’re legalized… employers in the United States don’t want them anymore. Their illegal status is what these jerks want so that they can be exploited!

I hear people say that they should go after the people who employ illegal immigrants. What happens to the jobs of the immigrants? Without an employer, they lose their job! In some ways, this is even worse scenario for these illegal immigrants who are held financially hostage by these modern day slave-masters.

People also say that illegals do jobs that nobody else wants to do. I hope that Americans who have been jobless for a long time now are starting to realize they won’t get their old job or salary back. Maybe it’s time for some Americans to go back to doing janitorial or agricultural jobs? I bet if things get desperate enough for some people – this becomes a realistic option.

In some sense, the people who support this bill are the greatest supporters of human rights. I see people who want to keep illegal immigrants here as people who support slavery in the United States and support corporate interests. I hate that this issue is pointed out as a race issue; it’s just a “human” issue. Talking about race is a red herring meant to distract you from the real problem – the exploitation of people with no legal status in the United States today.

44. Becky Reply

May 25, 2010 at 8:50 am

Nik I forgot this: I do not condone anyone breaking laws whether he is an illegal immigrant or Benjamin Franklin’s latest descendant.

The simple solution to the problem of illegal immigration is to make a law which will without mercy arrest any employer who hires them.

Someone suggested fining them, but that is not severe enough. Jail time should do it!

But Arizona is too stupid and afraid to go after the real criminals who are the money grubbing employers. So they make a law to arrest ignorant uneducated Mexicans who do not know (as God said of the citizens of Nineveh millenniums ago) their right hand from their left.

Arizona is wrong and their law will not stand it is doomed to fail because it is racist and targets Hispanics legal and illegal.

45. Becky Reply

May 25, 2010 at 8:42 am

Nik…you said “…is comparable to putting to death an innocent person for some reason which you didn’t make clear.”

It is wrong. Wrong is the key word here.
    Wrong is wrong and right is right, not knowing the difference is what is causing all the problems in this nation.
    My point is no one is qualified to determine who is guilty of anything when the sinner over there is as bad as the sinner over there: all subject to our lower nature which nature is manifested daily in crimes committed by human beings.

As for creating an environment of equal work and pay since when has this nation done anything to create anything fair?
    America got off on the wrong foot since Plymouth Rock.

I recommend Howard Zinn’s book The People’s History of the United States and Stephen J Gould’s The Mismeasure of Man.

Everyone is screwed up and no one is in fact qualified.
    And it has been too late for America since its beginnings.
    Can’t expect to build a perfect nation with imperfect human beings.
    It is like expecting the Justice system to work correctly when it is run by imperfect human beings.

46. Nik Reply

May 25, 2010 at 3:16 am

@Becky

I forgot 2 things. Majority is always right (Nazis were right, the Jews totally did suck), and you are also right, illegal immigrants are innocent of breaking any laws as dictated by the federal or state government(s).

Oh yea, and the law has nothing to do with creating an environment of equal work, equal pay. Who would want that?

47. Nik Reply

May 24, 2010 at 10:52 pm

@Becky

Way to draw an accurate analogy. Deporting people according to federal law and punishing those who hire illegal immigrants (as per the Arizona bill, which I did take the time to read) is comparable to putting to death an innocent person for some reason which you didn’t make clear.

Shit, I had a friend from high school who was a foreign exchange student who wanted to continue to college, but homeland security deported his ass because he forgot to renew his papers. Why isn’t that racist. He was just trying to better his life with an American education. DENIED!

The law is the law, and I’m all for changing it, but until we do it’s not up to police to pick and choose which laws to enforce based on what’s popular politically.

48. becky Reply

May 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm

You are exactly right. It is a racist law which must be done away with before it causes more trouble than it already has.
    Am I to believe that all these sane intelligent people protesting it are all wrong and Brewer is right? I think not.

The wrong thing about it is not about the Hispanics as much as it is about they want the nation to believe that Arizona cops are so holy they can tell who is “reasonable suspicious.”.

It is simply wrong to believe a police officer, who is as sinful as the rest of us, is qualified whether “trained” or not to decide who looks suspicious.

They are telling cops to judge according to outward appearance.

How many innocent people have been wrongfully accused throughout history and even put to death because some self-righteous person decided he must die?
    There is no way this law is not racist because to begin with the officer will be looking only at Hispanics.

He has to since that is what this is all about.
    He will not arrest a red-haired freckle faced girl named Heidi who speaks English.
    He is looking for Hispanics plain and simple.

49. jeansolean Reply

May 13, 2010 at 9:33 am

Dailysuxass – – what do you mean?? AP style??

50. sanchez Reply

May 13, 2010 at 9:30 am

Mr. Miletich – – what a sad day it is to see a writing such as yours. Your title of the article is so WRONG – and misleading. I don’t think you read the law or if you did – your eyes are so blinded by your own biases that you can not see the truth. I think you have “white mans’ guilt”. How can you say the law is racist and Wrong??? Who are you to judge so harshly? What experience do you have in Arizona?? I am hispanic and I have family in Arizonza – – They all are very happy with it. How dare you speak for the people of Arizona. So sorry to say that you are indeed very ignorant on this matter. Please educate yourself before writing such an article. You should be ashamed and embarrassed of yourself. Since when is following the law the WRONG thing to do?

51. cubbie Reply

May 13, 2010 at 9:23 am

Archie – – God also commands that we obey the law of the land. Your line of reasoning would mean that it is ok to rob a rich person to help out a poor person. Remove laws and you have lawlessness! I agree with Jeansonlean -Since when do we get to pick and choose what laws we want to follow.

52. K Reply

May 12, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I am a tad bit imbarrised that people think this law is racist. People enter out country illegaly and complain about harsh treatment. Thats garbage.

53. Archie Reply

May 9, 2010 at 4:53 pm

When I said “the people that help them” I was not refering to smugglers or criminals. I was refering to people who are moved by compassion, pity, love and a humaine cause.

54. Archie Reply

May 9, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I agree. Arizonas Immigration law is Racist and Wrong. Man’s law is not above God’s commands or decrees. Man made laws that violate God’s commands and decrees are wrong and a sin against God. It is written in the Bible that God commands us that we ARE to love the alien in the land, not to mistreat them AND to treat them as one of our Native Born. We disobey God by making them and the people that help them into criminals by law, like the Nazism movement did to the Jews and those that helped them. The Nazi punished employers that gave work to the Jews, blamed the Jews for stealing jobs, being a cost burden to the country and for the bad economy (Does that sound familiar?) Some say that this is the USA not Nazi Germany. I say Nazism is not just a place and event in time. Nazism is a believe, a cancer to mankind. The God of the Bible says that He loves the alien, feeds and clothes them. We are told to help and love our brother, sister, the alien, the oppressed and the afflicted. God tells us to obey the law, but laws that violate His commands are obviously wrong. Illegal immigration is a problem that needs a solution, but not by disobeying the Lord who made us all.

55. dailysuxass Reply

May 6, 2010 at 2:50 pm

The above post by Jeansolean definitely adheres to the AP style guide

56. Jeansolean Reply

May 6, 2010 at 10:58 am

This is the most predjudice and racial article I have ever read. Did you even read the law or are you making your statements based on the media scare tactics which your are also perpetuating. Since when do we get to pick and choose what laws we want to obey? What is it about “illegal” don’t you understand? Can I choose not to pay my taxes? The Arizona law is basically saying it will no longer look away when encountering known illegals and will now UPHOLD the CURRENT Federal law. And the important question to you is “If you were governor and your citizens and legal residents were being kidnapped, robbed, and murdered by illegal aliens (no, not all illegals are!)how would you protect your citizens?

57. Pingback: God bless Amerikkka | très jason