At last night’s meeting, the Associated Students Legislative Council selected two organizations that will receive money from its Haitian relief effort.

Council members elected to split the money in half, sending donations to both Lambi Fund of Haiti and Santa Barbara-based Direct Relief International. Internal Vice President Chris Wendle noted that in addition to UCSB’s campaign, many other universities are offering support to Haiti.

“Even UC Berkeley and Stanford have put their rivalry aside to raise funds together,” Wendle said. “More and more schools are getting involved.”

Chloe Stryker, off-campus representative and creator of the relief fund bill that was passed last week, suggested the two organizations to the committee.

In the upcoming week, A.S. will continue to promote its Haitian relief fund. At last week’s meeting, the council promised to match all contributions to the fund before Jan. 31 with a cap of $25,000. As of 3 p.m. yesterday, A.S. had received $4,778.89 in donations.

Meanwhile, the council also discussed restructuring the Isla Vista Community Relations Committee, the A.S. commission responsible for educating student communities regarding issues within I.V. and Santa Barbara County. Off-campus Representative Barbara De La Torre said the committee believes it is not fully living up to its potential under its current scheme.

“We feel we need to branch out,” De La Torre said. “We’ll be aiming to spread the word about what IVCRC does.”

A.S. also tabled a bill that would restructure the external vice president of local affairs office until next week. The bill aims to institute a greater collaboration between the EVPLA office and the Environmental Affairs Board projects, along with MarBorg and the Blue I.V. campaign.

Any students interested in donating to the relief effort can do so through the A.S. Web site, the A.S. Ticket Window on campus or by mailing a contribution to 2537 University Center, Santa Barbara, CA, 93116.