Warning. This article contains graphic content relating to physical assault. 

The Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office arrested an Isla Vista resident on June 25 at 6:05 p.m. at 855 Embarcadero del Mar for brandishing a knife at a minor, and was charged with three felonies and two misdemeanors. 

18-year-old David Lopez-Roman provided alcohol to a 15-year-old juvenile, physically assaulting him and threatening him with a knife, according to the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) Public Information Officer Raquel Zick. When deputies arrived on scene, Lopez-Roman threatened to fight the officers and was arrested after he attempted to flee. 

Lopez-Roman was charged with three felonies of child cruelty, obstructing and resisting law enforcement and assault with force that attempted great bodily injury, as well as two misdemeanors of selling liquor to a minor and exhibiting a deadly weapon, according to SBSO arrest logs. The arrestee is currently being held on a $100,000 bail at Santa Barbara County Jail. 

The subject was not confirmed to be a student of UC Santa Barbara nor Santa Barbara Community College. 

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.