The UC Santa Barbara Associated Students Senate swore in the 74th cohort of senators and executives on May 24 in the University Center Flying A Studios Room.

A.S. President Tessa Veksler is sworn in by her predecessor, Gurleen Pabla. Courtesy of the UCSB A.S. Senate Livestream

Third-year political science major and Associated Students (A.S.) President Tessa Veksler was the first to be sworn in by her predecessor, fourth-year political science major Gurleen Pabla. 

“I, Tessa Veksler, hereby affirm that I will fulfill the duties of the A.S. President for the 2023-2024 academic year to the best of my ability,” Veksler said, reciting A.S. Standing policy nine, section E. “I will seek to facilitate the Associated Students and the University Community in a manner that is consistent with the ideals of an academic community.”

All executives were sworn in by their predecessors. Third-year biochemistry major Sohum Kalia was sworn in as Internal Vice President (IVP), third-year psychological & brain sciences major Osaze Osayande was sworn in as External Vice President of Local Affairs, third-year political science major Vero Caveroegusquiza was sworn in as External Vice President of Statewide Affairs and third-year economics and history double major Nathan Lee was sworn in as Student Advocate General.

Following the executives, the 74th senate was collectively sworn in by newly appointed IVP Kalia. 

Kalia did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

First-year computer science major Ephraim Shalunov was sworn in as Off-Campus Senator and appointed first pro-tempore. Shalunov — who served as On-Campus Senator in the 73rd Senate — expressed excitement in entering a new term with the 74th Senate.

“I think that [the] 74th Senate is uniquely qualified as far as Senates go,” Shalunov said in an interview with the Nexus. “There’s a good chunk of people continuing from the 73rd. There are people who have diverse experiences in BCUs [Boards, Commissions and Units] and other places with an A.S. coming in there … I think it’s great.”

A version of this article appeared on p. 4 of the June 1, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Sindhu Ananthavel
Sindhu Ananthavel (she/they) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Ananthavel was the Deputy News Editor for the 2022-23 school year, the Community Outreach News Editor for the 2021-22 school year and an assistant news editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.