The University of California Academic Senate approved a new graduation requirement for all undergraduate students completing bachelor’s degrees, mandating a certain percentage of classes taken in person. 

The regulation, titled a campus experience requirement, was approved Feb. 21 and announced to UC Santa Barbara students via email on April 24. The requirement is now reflected in students’ major progress checks on GOLD.

Regulation 630 E stipulates that undergraduate students must complete a minimum of six units of course credits each quarter or semester for three quarters or two semesters in “courses designed to deliver to any enrolled student at least 50 percent of in-person instructional hours on any campus of the University of California or physical locations affiliated with programs listed in SR 630.D.”

The new requirement is now in effect for the graduating class of 2023 and future graduating students.

“To satisfy this requirement, at least two quarters or one semester must be completed during the regular academic year, with no more than one quarter or semester completed during the summer,” the Academic Senate regulation read.

The regulation clarifies that “in-person instructional hours” must include instructors and students in the same physical location during designated class time, excluding office hours and recorded lectures.

A version of this article appeared on p. 6 of the April 27, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Sindhu Ananthavel
Sindhu Ananthavel (she/they) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Ananthavel was the Deputy News Editor for the 2022-23 school year, the Community Outreach News Editor for the 2021-22 school year and an assistant news editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.