A collision between a vehicle driven by a UC Santa Barbara student and a pedestrian occured today at the intersection of El Colegio and Camino Del Sur, California Highway Patrol Officer Dave Nees said.

The individual was later carried from the scene on a stretcher by paramedics. Courtesy of Liam Goodin

The accident happened at approximately 12:30 p.m., when the car driver took an unprotected left turn onto El Colegio and hit a pedestrian who was crossing the crosswalk, according to Nees. The collision occurred outside Santa Ynez Apartments — one of UCSB’s university apartments.

University of California Police Department, California Highway Patrol (CHP), Santa Barbara County Fire Department and Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene.

The pedestrian hit their head and may have sustained further injuries, Nees said. The individual was later carried from the scene on a stretcher by paramedics.

Nees also confirmed the driver to be a UCSB student.

The Nexus will continue to report on this story as more information becomes available.

Nisha Malley
Nisha Malley (she/her/hers) is the County News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Malley was an Assistant News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.
Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.