Career Services Hosts Panel Event on Careers in Criminal Justice 

UC Santa Barbara’s Career Services is hosting a panelist event titled “Careers in Criminal Justice: Meet the Crime Fighters” on April 28 from 1-2 p.m. via Zoom. 

The event — showcasing career paths in criminal justice —  included the following panelists: a homicide detective, a juvenile probation officer and the director of the New York City Department of Investigation. 

MCC Center Hosts “Environmental Justice Around the World” as Part of Conscious Conversations Series 

UCSB’s MultiCultural Center (MCC) is holding a student-led conversation about “Environmental Justice Around the World,” as a part of the center’s “Conscious Conversations Series” on April 28 from 6-8 p.m. in the MCC lounge. 

The panel hopes to “de-westernize the narrative surrounding environmental justice and center diverse student perspectives,” according to the event’s Shoreline invitation.

MCC Hosts Children and Family Event on “Gardening, Composting and Food Justice” 

The MCC is hosting a children’s and family event titled “Connecting to Our Food: Gardening, Composting, and Food Justice” on April 30 at 12 p.m. at the MCC lounge. Participants can bring home gardening starter kits and children’s books about food, justice and gardening. 

RCSGD Hosts Aro/Ace Picnic 

UCSB’s Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) is hosting an Aro/Ace spring picnic on the Student Resource Building lawn on April 30 from 12-2 p.m. All asexual, aromantic, demisexual, grey-ace and questioning individuals are welcome. Food will be provided. 

Isla Vista Food Co-op Celebrates 50th Anniversary 

The Isla Vista Food Cooperative is celebrating its 50th anniversary with an anniversary bash on April 30 from 3-8 p.m. The event is in collaboration with the Isla Vista Foot Patrol and the Isla Vista Recreation and Park District at the Anisq’Oyo’ Park amphitheater. There will be live music and food will be provided. 

Educational Opportunity Program Hosts Multicultural Mixer 

UCSB’s Educational Opportunity Program is hosting an “Identities Unbound: A Multicultural Mixer” event on April 30 from 1-3 p.m. on the El Centro lawn. All UCSB students are invited to participate for free, and a light lunch and refreshments will be provided. 

Student Commission on Racial Equity Hosts Second Workshop of Three on Mass Incarceration 

The UCSB Associated Students’ Student Commission on Racial Equity is hosting its second “Mass Incarceration Political Education Workshop” on May 2 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room in the Student Resource Building. 

This workshop will cover what it means to be system impacted and the impact the prison industrial complex has on our society. There will be guest speakers, including formerly incarcerated activists, at the event. Prospective participants can sign up for the event to secure a seat, and food will be provided. 

MCC Hosts Online Lecture by Gloria Ladson-Billings on Justice Amidst Polarizing Politics 

The MCC is hosting an online lecture by author and recipient of nine honorary degrees Gloria Ladson-Billings, called, “Race, Equity, and Justice in the Midst of Polarizing Politics” on May 3 at 6 p.m. via Zoom. The talk will discuss the “current critical race theory debate and how universities can clarify the misinformation and disinformation surrounding its meanings,” according to the event flyer

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.