This area was cordoned off as a part of the investigation. The area showed damage sustained from the shooting. Atmika Iyer / Daily Nexus

All involved parties had fled the scene before law enforcement arrived. An officer from the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) on the scene said that there were currently two locations of interest at the hotel. 

The victim of the gunshot, Goleta resident Richard Andrew Cardano, arrived at Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital and died after succumbing to his injuries.

One building of interest at Pacifica Suites was cleared and evacuated; however, all other residents in the other buildings were not required to evacuate. 

UCSB emergency notifications gave students an all-clear for the area at 9:40 p.m.

This is an ongoing investigation, and this article will be updated as more information becomes available. 

CORRECTION [2/11/2022, 9:26 p.m.]: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that students are still living at Pacifica Suites. Thought the university used house students at that hotel, the university has moved out all students since. This article has been corrected to reflect that no students are currently living at Pacifica Suites through the university.

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.
Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.