Daniela Gomez / Daily Nexus

UCSB Career Services Presents “​​Money Talks: How To Financially Evaluate Grad Schools” Virtually 

UC Santa Barbara’s Career Services is hosting “​​Money Talks: How To Financially Evaluate Grad Schools” on Jan. 27 at 12 p.m. The event hopes to provide prospective graduate students with a tool kit that allows them to understand the “basics of financially evaluating graduate schools.” 

“We will strive to cover topics such as comparative cost evaluations, debt to income ratios and what they mean for you, loan repayment mechanisms in the future, and others,” the event description on Shoreline stated. “Leave this workshop with a basic toolkit of financially evaluating your Grad School acceptance letters.”

The Department of History of Art & Architecture Hosts “Boxing in the Frame: Eadweard Muybridge and the Force of Blackness” 

The Department of History of Art & Architecture invited associate professor of American art at the University of Maryland, College Park Jordana Moore Saggese as a part of the organization’s 2021-22 Lecture Series: Underground Knowledge to deliver a lecture on Jan. 27 at 4 p.m.

Saggese will deliver a lecture covering the photography of mixed-race boxer Ben Bailey in 1885 as a microcosm of race, photography and social categorization of Black people — a topic Saggese wrote about in her upcoming book “Game On: Boxing, Race and Black Masculinity.” 

“Saggese will further explore the ways in which these photographs were instrumental in giving visual form to these fantasies (and fears) about Black bodies in the public sphere, looking both to fine art and vernacular photography for comparative treatments of the Black body as both a scientific and an aesthetic object,” the event description on Shoreline stated. 

UCSB Health & Wellness Presents “Mindfulness for Social Justice” 

UCSB Health & Wellness has created a multi-week series entitled “Mindfulness for Social Justice” in the hopes of providing queer and trans Black, Indigenous and people of color campus community members an opportunity to “explore how self and community care may bring us closer to our authentic and full selves, which is necessary for doing social justice work.” 

“In order to sustain ourselves and our work for the long-term, we must engage with restful practices that are truly restorative to our minds, bodies, and spirits. To that end, we will learn and practice methods to self-soothe, participate in community care, and understand rest as a truly revolutionary act,” the event description on Shoreline stated. 

Kapatirang Pilipino Hosts Open Mic Night 

Kapatirang Pilipino is hosting an open mic night on Jan. 27 at 6 p.m. Though the deadline for Kapatirang Pilipino’s interest form to participate in the open mic night closed on Jan. 24, those interested can register to view the event on Shoreline. Students are encouraged to sing, dance, perform spoken word poetry or showcase any other artistic talent. 

MCC, Vietnamese Student Association Presents An Evening of Pop & R&B with Thuy

UCSB’s MultiCultural Center and the Vietnamese Student Association are hosting Vietnamese American singer and songwriter Thuy to virtually perform on Jan. 27 at 6 p.m. 

After a few lackluster years in the medical field followed by a chance visit to a studio, Thuy finally saw what a professional career in music could look like and in no short time, recorded her first record, ‘Hands on Me,”’ the event description on Shoreline stated. “As the track hit radio on Bay Area’s 106.1 KMEL, Thuy cemented her earliest step into pop R&B success.”

Thuy, a Los Angeles-based artist, has now produced several songs that combine pop and R&B. Thuy has been featured on Billboard, PAPER, Harper’s BAZAAR, Lyrical Lemonade, Flaunt Magazine, EARMILK, Spotify’s New Music Friday and Apple Music’s Best New Music. 

MCC Presents “Race Matters Series: Professor Glenda Flores, Shaping The Way America’s Children Are Educated: Latina Teachers In Majority-Minority Schools” 

UC Irvine associate professor in the Department of Chicano/Latino Studies Glenda Marisol Flores will speak to the UCSB community on Jan. 28 at 6 p.m. about the “growing workforce of Latina teachers who work in schools where the majority of parents and children are Latinx, Black and Asian.” 

Flores will discuss “ethnographic and participant observation in two underperforming majority-minority schools in Los Angeles, as well as interviews with teachers, parents and staff, Flores examines the complexities” rooted in the growing workforce of Latina teachers. 

Magic Lantern Shows Two Movies Back-to-Back at Isla Vista Theater

Magic Lantern Films will be playing director Wes Anderson’s “The French Dispatch” starring Timothée Chalamet on Jan. 28 from 7 to 9 p.m. Right after screening “The French Dispatch,” Magic Lantern Films will be playing “Last Night in Soho,” starring Thomasin McKenzie and Anya Taylor-Joy, at 10 p.m.

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.
Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.