The UC Santa Barbara Transfer Student Center hosted a social event for transfer students to paint a canvas of their choice on Oct. 19 in celebration of National Transfer Student Week.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

“I enjoy working at the [Transfer Student Center (TSC)] because I want to give back to transfer students,” second-year global studies major and peer educator Darwin Lopez said. 

Lopez said he likes to see students coming in as strangers and then leaving the events as a group to eat a meal together.

In celebration of National Transfer Student Week, the TSC has been setting up events since Oct. 18 and will continue its festivities until Oct. 21. They have also been giving out Class of 2022 water bottles for free. 

The TSC’s goal is to help transfer students adjust to campus as smoothly as possible. Due to COVID-19’s impact on individual social skills, Lopez believes that transfer students are deeply affected by the transition. 

“Students don’t really know each other [or] what resources they have available [and are] not yet familiar with campus itself during their first year,” Lopez said. 

The TSC encourages students to use their resources to its fullest potential and take all the opportunities that campus has to offer, academically and socially. 

“I’ve been promoting a lot of the events we have thus far,” Lopez said. “For example, this Halloween one today. We’re having a transfer student open house night coming up, workshops for UCDC and study abroad, as well as a grad info session. Overall, we just want to provide support. This is a safe space for transfer students and we not only want to emphasize that in words but show that through the events we host.