This year’s Deltopia — an unsanctioned, annual street party in Isla Vista that is held during the first weekend of spring quarter — saw a total of five arrests and 20 citations issued by local law enforcement, but no administrative fines or medical transports, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release on Tuesday. 

The breakdown of the Deltopia weekend charges are as follows:

Citations:   

• Minor in Possession of Alcohol: 11  
  • Drinking in Public: 1
  • Open Container: 5   
  • Noise Ordinance: 1   
  • Drinking in a Park: 1
  • Possession of Nitrous Oxide: 1

Arrests:

• Possess Controlled Substance: 1
  • Fighting in Public: 1
  • Possess Loaded Firearm on Campus: 1
  • DUI: 2

The arrests and citations occurred between April 2 and April 4 during a period of increased law enforcement to curb illegal behavior and to address COVID-19 transmission and safety concerns. The UC Irvine and UC Los Angeles Police Departments also assisted UC Santa Barbara’s Police Department and the Isla Vista Foot Patrol in mitigating large parties and gatherings. 

Beaches were closed throughout I.V. for the weekend, the County Festival Music Ordinance — which prohibits loud music from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. — took effect and parking restrictions were implemented by UCSB, with on-campus parking limited to only those with permits for authorized UCSB events. Virtual events and concerts, such as the Associated Student’s “Warm Up,” were also held by the university to encourage participants to stay indoors.

Last year, Deltopia had fewer than 30 partygoers, most of whom stayed in their respective homes due to COVID-19 restrictions. No arrests or citations were reported by law enforcement in 2020.

Sindhu Ananthavel
Sindhu Ananthavel (she/they) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Ananthavel was the Deputy News Editor for the 2022-23 school year, the Community Outreach News Editor for the 2021-22 school year and an assistant news editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.
Daily Nexus Photography
A cool team of photographers who preserves the visual memory of UCSB and Isla Vista. The photo editor can be reached at photo@dailynexus.com.