Do you ever have fresh lemons lying around and aren’t sure what to do with them? Consider making these easy and vibrant lemon bars! I was personally not a huge fan of lemons (too sour), but these lemon bars changed my mind about them in a single afternoon. The zingy flavor of the soft lemon filling is perfectly balanced by the crumbly, sugary crust and makes for the perfect snack or dessert.
Ingredients (for 20 bars):
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large lemons or 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 9-by-13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Mix 2½ cups of flour with ½ cup sugar in a large bowl.
- Add in the melted butter and continue mixing until combined.
- Dump the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it out into an even layer before pressing down to form a flat layer.
- Bake the crust at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, thoroughly whisk together the eggs, the remaining sugar, ½ cup flour and the juice of three lemons. (Be sure to strain out the seeds!)
- Pour the filling into the finished crust and continue to bake at 350 F for an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool completely and refrigerate for at least an hour before slicing and serving.
This recipe makes for such a fun afternoon project and is definitely foolproof. The best part is that most of the time involved is spent on baking and chilling, so you could easily finish up assignments in the meantime and at the end, you’ll have these delicious lemon bars waiting for you! These lemon bars are definitely customizable as well. If you want less of the sour lemon flavor, consider adding more sugar to the filling or try adding different fruit juices like orange or grapefruit. Definitely give this recipe a try!